Terragen used in a commercial again...

Started by Hannes, November 17, 2018, 10:38:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Wow, thank you all!!!
The landscape and the skies except the coloured one at the end is created by me. There may be some parts in the foreground where Gal is standing, especially in the second scene, that may have been shot by camera, but since I tried to match my scenes with the ones they originally shot, I can't tell exactly...
However I provided Unexpected with four or five scenes with some animation testing, and they animated the cameras.

I'll ask Steffen, if there's some Making Of.

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on November 18, 2018, 03:49:17 AM
Wow, thank you all!!!
The landscape and the skies except the coloured one at the end is created by me. There may be some parts in the foreground where Gal is standing, especially in the second scene, that may have been shot by camera, but since I tried to match my scenes with the ones they originally shot, I can't tell exactly...
However I provided Unexpected with four or five scenes with some animation testing, and they animated the cameras.

I'll ask Steffen, if there's some Making Of.

The integration between background and foreground, as well as camera focus really gives it a photo-realistic feeling. Very cool landscape to. Volcanic or alien-esque.

Hannes

The first camera shots were initially made in Iceland. Then Steffen asked me to create a similar landscape, and since the clients wanted it to look a bit more dramatic, Unexpected decided to replace most of the camera footage by TG stuff.
I can tell you, it was really tough. I made the experience that it's really tricky in TG to make the terrain changes the customer wants. "Can you make this special area a little more flat?" or "Can you move this particular spike to another place, leaving the rest as it is?" took a lot of time, using dirty tricks, and I sometimes was dreaming of some sophisticated terrain sculpting features in TG (without using 3rd party apps) that keep the details. The notion of features like in ZBrush, like a flatten brush or other ones would be a dream come true.
Nevertheless after all this work it was a pleasure to see how Unexpected put it all together.

Hannes

Just asked Steffen, if there will be some FX breakdown or making of, and it will. Going to post it here as soon as it's done.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on November 18, 2018, 06:01:36 AM
Just asked Steffen, if there will be some FX breakdown or making of, and it will. Going to post it here as soon as it's done.

Awesome, be great to see the process
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

sboerner

Looking forward to the making of. This is so impressive, beautiful work and it's a pleasure to see your work get such wide distribution. Congratulations!

masonspappy

WAS

Quote from: Hannes on November 18, 2018, 05:20:18 AM
The first camera shots were initially made in Iceland. Then Steffen asked me to create a similar landscape, and since the clients wanted it to look a bit more dramatic, Unexpected decided to replace most of the camera footage by TG stuff.
I can tell you, it was really tough. I made the experience that it's really tricky in TG to make the terrain changes the customer wants. "Can you make this special area a little more flat?" or "Can you move this particular spike to another place, leaving the rest as it is?" took a lot of time, using dirty tricks, and I sometimes was dreaming of some sophisticated terrain sculpting features in TG (without using 3rd party apps) that keep the details. The notion of features like in ZBrush, like a flatten brush or other ones would be a dream come true.
Nevertheless after all this work it was a pleasure to see how Unexpected put it all together.

Oh wow. Sounds like a lot of work. :O also that reminds me of a terrain tool Matt said he'd reveal later this year. Wonder if we'll see that sometime soon.

zaxxon

paq

Gameloft

Oshyan

Great to hear there will be a breakdown! Looking forward to that.

We are definitely on the same page with the need for easier direct editing options and Matt has some ideas that he's working on as time allows.

- Oshyan

Tangled-Universe

Congratulations Hannes! :)
Great integration of your great (and indeed dramatic!) work into the final footage. Well done!

Quote from: Oshyan on November 18, 2018, 05:55:11 PM
Great to hear there will be a breakdown! Looking forward to that.

Reading here it seems Hannes only asked thus far, but hasn't heard anything yet afaik?

otakar

Groovy! You really can't tell what's rendered vs real.