Hetzen's Nest

Started by WAS, November 27, 2018, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Just some terrain stuff using Hetzen's cobble noise similar to mhaze's use but my inspiration is drawn from Assassins Creed Origins setting in Egypt.

My Cycas Revoluta's trunk textures became black after some editing that I didn't notice, and I lost the original free palm I used to use so had to find a 2D vegetation LOD version online (as I couldn't find the original I used to use, seems removed; not even in my catalog of downloads)

Dune grass 3 for the ground.

Oshyan

Very nice indeed! And... path traced perhaps?

The reflectivity in the shadowed areas of the rocks seems a bit much to my eye, but it's a cool effect nonetheless.

- Oshyan

WAS

Quote from: Oshyan on November 27, 2018, 05:23:19 PM
Very nice indeed! And... path traced perhaps?

The reflectivity in the shadowed areas of the rocks seems a bit much to my eye, but it's a cool effect nonetheless.

- Oshyan

Yes it's path traced. I ran into the same recursive error again as well and had to thin out the clouds and push them away. Not sure what's going on.

And yeah I noticed that reflectivity as well. If I'm not mistaken I forgot to edit the index of refraction to my usual rock setting of 1.15 or 1.12. It's probably on default. Fixing that would help it's spread too. Edit: Yeah 1.33 is far too strong.

IMO the PT really makes or breaks desert scenes as far as light on the ground in shadowed areas. Notice the blue from the sky on the sand in the shadows. That's not present without path tracing and new settings, at least not as strong??.

Matt

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 27, 2018, 05:38:26 PM
And yeah I noticed that reflectivity as well. If I'm not mistaken I forgot to edit the index of refraction to my usual rock setting of 1.15 or 1.12. It's probably on default. Fixing that would help it's spread too. Edit: Yeah 1.33 is far too strong.

IMO 1.33 - 1.50 is a reasonable value and you should think about changing the roughness and/or reflectivity instead.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Quote from: Matt on November 27, 2018, 05:59:48 PM
Quote from: WASasquatch on November 27, 2018, 05:38:26 PM

IMO 1.33 - 1.50 is a reasonable value and you should think about changing the roughness and/or reflectivity instead.

I try to recreate from real-world values, such as sandstone (which this sorta is) is around 1.15. I haven't tried roughness actually for stone much, should though.

Hetzen

Not sure what I've added here. Cool image though. Keep playing  :)

WAS

Quote from: Hetzen on November 27, 2018, 07:07:36 PM
Not sure what I've added here. Cool image though. Keep playing  :)

It utilizes your cobble function noise for normal and lateral displacements. Though cleverly scaled and translated to not be so square and repetitive.

RichTwo

Nice work on the outcrop!  Reminds me of Scottsdale AZ.  Somehow the palms / cycads seem a bit plastic.  But I am sure it's still a WIP.  Show us more, please.
They're all wasted!