Shield Volcano

Started by rpleak, November 28, 2018, 12:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpleak

I'm trying to find out how to model a shield volcano(as seen in the attached photo), but I'm not having too much luck so far. If someone could give me some suggestions, I'd be very appreciative...

Rob P

Dune

This wouldn't be too hard to do. I'd use a couple of simple shapes with various degrees of hardness and mask a surface layer (or more) by them, which can have the displacement (either direct and/or offset). Then add some subtle erosion by either the fractal warp shader or Daniil's plugin. If you can't get it done, I'd be happy to provide a sample.

WAS

I'll get you that upload in the morning. :) Made a nice orbital scene demonstrating it for ya. You could add some craters with the crater shader and it'd be a descent Mars-esque scene.

DK Classic Erosion is alright, you'd be better off just using it for thermal. It adds too much cutting and flows for a planet like mars without cutting that erosion power to 0.

RichTwo

I created a volcano-like feature using the Crater shader, believe it or not. 
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,25893.0.html
The rim needs to be rather large and high, while the crater diameter / depth needs to be much smaller in comparison.  How to obtain features such as cliffs, lava flows and landslides is totally beyond my knowledge.
They're all wasted!

Matt

I just have to point out that the 'photo' is a Terragen v0.9 render by Kees Veenenbos  :D
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

WAS

Here you are.

This whole setup is controlled by a single SSS which is than adjusted for all the little bits, making it highly customizable without having to edit the dimensions/locations of many SSS shapes.

rpleak

Thanks! I'll check it out and try to learn from it... The Olympus Mons 'photo' was uncredited and appeared on a Google search for shield volcano images, my hat is off to Kees!

Thanks;

Rob P

WAS

Quote from: rpleak on November 28, 2018, 04:58:23 PM
Thanks! I'll check it out and try to learn from it... The Olympus Mons 'photo' was uncredited and appeared on a Google search for shield volcano images, my hat is off to Kees!

Thanks;

Rob P

I figured it was a recreation but had no clue it was old TG classic. I just installed TG classic from a executable archive service and have yet to try it out (I assume that's OK since it was free but removed cause of support reasons?)

By and by I am making a more Terran iteration of this for you, since you mentioned you just wanted to do a shield volcano, not necessarily like Mars.

RichTwo

Quote from: WASasquatch on November 28, 2018, 05:29:07 PM
Quote from: rpleak on November 28, 2018, 04:58:23 PM

Thanks;

Rob P

I figured it was a recreation but had no clue it was old TG classic. I just installed TG classic from a executable archive service and have yet to try it out (I assume that's OK since it was free but removed cause of support reasons?)

By and by I am making a more Terran iteration of this for you, since you mentioned you just wanted to do a shield volcano, not necessarily like Mars.

As all versions of Terragen are, they are free to download.  But of course if you want to remove restrictions, you'd need a key, and I don't think Planetside offers that for the Classic version.  You can create a 513 X 513 max terrain, save and load into any subsequent version of TG. Having another program like World Machine helps, too.

Good luck to both of you on your projects!  I may try the same using the Crater shader.
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on November 28, 2018, 05:45:39 PM
As all versions of Terragen are, they are free to download.  But of course if you want to remove restrictions, you'd need a key, and I don't think Planetside offers that for the Classic version.  You can create a 513 X 513 max terrain, save and load into any subsequent version of TG. Having another program like World Machine helps, too.

Good luck to both of you on your projects!  I may try the same using the Crater shader.

It's a bit different for Terragen Classic, Rich.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

[attachurl=5]
[attachurl=6]

Anyways, here is the more Terran iteration. This version uses Daniil Kamperov's Classic Erosion (https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,23759.0.html), but uses a resolution of 1024 so is compatible with the freeware version to try it out.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on November 28, 2018, 02:13:05 PM
I just have to point out that the 'photo' is a Terragen v0.9 render by Kees Veenenbos  :D

Was about to say it looked remarkably TG
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Jordan - I must say your Shield Volcano .tgd is quite impressive!

I became a registered TG Classic user a few years (around year 2000) prior to TG2.  What I am saying is that even though Classic is still available from somewhere, Planetside no longer maintains it, nor offers registration for it - or so I believe.  That proprietary notice simply says commercial use requires it and personal use is optional.

So if you have the program, it works to a fair extent but without a key several main features are locked (max render size and quality, max size of terrain to work with, some water features). 

I am sure however that Button 9 still works...  ;)
They're all wasted!

WAS

Quote from: Rich2 on November 29, 2018, 03:19:58 PM
Jordan - I must say your Shield Volcano .tgd is quite impressive!

I became a registered TG Classic user a few years (around year 2000) prior to TG2.  What I am saying is that even though Classic is still available from somewhere, Planetside no longer maintains it, nor offers registration for it - or so I believe.  That proprietary notice simply says commercial use requires it and personal use is optional.

So if you have the program, it works to a fair extent but without a key several main features are locked (max render size and quality, max size of terrain to work with, some water features). 

I am sure however that Button 9 still works...  ;)

Perhaps you're not aware I work on TG freeware to begin with. I've never owned it. Lol