Cabin Fever

Started by sjefen, November 28, 2018, 05:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Damn near Perfect!
Is this rendered with Path Tracing? Interesting to see a comparison.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

sboerner

Just beautiful.

QuoteDon't change too much :)

+2

otakar

Love it! What about adding or replacing one of you trees with a (almost) dead tree? I am thinking one close to the water maybe. Would add a bit to the wilderness feel. Just a suggestion.

sjefen

Quote from: otakar on November 29, 2018, 12:36:55 PM
What about adding or replacing one of you trees with a (almost) dead tree? I am thinking one close to the water maybe. Would add a bit to the wilderness feel. Just a suggestion.

I'll see what I can do, but right now I'm working on the shoreline  ;)

- Terje
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

bobbystahr

That's got it man. Maybe the aforementioned dead tree transitioning to the water from the shore?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Tangled-Universe

Amazing! Indeed, don't change too much! The sense of scale and lighting is just wonderful, so well done.
I'm not entirely sure about the framing/composition though, mainly because the cabin is very close to the edge of the composition.
I like the shoreline you just posted.
A render I'm working on past weeks has much nicer looking water when I use the path tracer, so I'd really like to suggest you try that as well or at least use deferred shading.

WAS

Quote from: sjefen on November 29, 2018, 03:07:24 PM
Quote from: otakar on November 29, 2018, 12:36:55 PM
What about adding or replacing one of you trees with a (almost) dead tree? I am thinking one close to the water maybe. Would add a bit to the wilderness feel. Just a suggestion.

I'll see what I can do, but right now I'm working on the shoreline  ;)

- Terje

Oh wow, yeah that looks great.

sjefen

Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 29, 2018, 05:04:30 PM
Amazing! Indeed, don't change too much! The sense of scale and lighting is just wonderful, so well done.
I'm not entirely sure about the framing/composition though, mainly because the cabin is very close to the edge of the composition.
A render I'm working on past weeks has much nicer looking water when I use the path tracer, so I'd really like to suggest you try that as well or at least use deferred shading.

I'm actually using path tracer in this one, but I've sharpened the reflections on the water.
I'll fix it and also try to fix the composition for the next one  :)

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

germanobanano

This looks gorgeous. Maybe some distant islands on the left hand side, would balance the composition a bit?

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: sjefen on November 29, 2018, 09:23:24 AM
Quote from: Jo Kariboo on November 28, 2018, 08:20:12 PM
Have you used a light source for the forest, or this light comes from the sun?

It's a light source just outside the cabin.
It was meant to be like a outdoor lamp you turn on in the evening and night. Does it look strange?

- Terje

Honestly, it's a detail.
It seems a little strange to me but I must admit that I really like your image which is one of my tops that I have seen so far on this website...
If you really want to give the real impression that the light source that illuminates the vegetation in the foreground to the left and right of the house, the vegetations to the right of the image should receive much more light intensity than those to the left of the house, because it would be near the light source. Currently the intensity is almost similar on the trees on both sides what sunlight would normally have done. The light coming out of the house is excellent, we can see on the ground the degradation of the intensity more than we move away from the light source.
But as I want to clarify this is a detail, it is not necessary to copy reality at all costs.

Pierre

Tangled-Universe

Quote from: sjefen on November 29, 2018, 05:46:16 PM
Quote from: Tangled-Universe on November 29, 2018, 05:04:30 PM

I'm actually using path tracer in this one, but I've sharpened the reflections on the water.
I'll fix it and also try to fix the composition for the next one  :)

- Terje

Ah right! The reason I suggested using the path tracer for the water is that I like it that it comes out much softer/smoother. I guess it was mostly an artistic choice then.

Edit: I gave the composition of the image some thought and since I really like the 'vertical balance' of your composition I think it's not wise to change camera position and a short focal length, since then you will end up with more sky or water and that balance is perfect to me.
So *my* choice would be to change the width of the render by 10% or so and slightly rotate the camera to the right so that the mountain stays in the same place. For this I would put a landmark at the left edge of the render so you can keep track of that.

cocateho26

Love the peaceful mood in this one. Evening light like this is always a bit tough to get right, good job!

masonspappy

I somehow missed this the first time through but really like the sense of isolation and grandeur!

WAS

Honestly I like the presence of the patio light. You'd want it at night in a place like that...

sjefen

Update:

- Reworked the shoreline
- Added a subtle pathway in the grass from the cabin
- Softened the water reflections
- Changed the composition a little bit
- Tweaked the cabin light
- Adjusted some of the trees rotation (but not much)

I can see that I now need to work on the textures on the other side of the lake below the mountain.

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 29, 2018, 03:21:58 PM
That's got it man. Maybe the aforementioned dead tree transitioning to the water from the shore?

I went trough my object library and I don't have any dead trees. Not even some leafless trees  :'(

- Terje

128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB