Scaling Down A Fractal Terrain

Started by jackblack, November 30, 2018, 11:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackblack

Is there a way to scale down a fractal terrain without changing the fractals? I've tried and cannot seem to scale it down correctly.
As an example, I have a mountain that is 2 km high, but I want it scaled down to 1 km high, however if I change the scaling values, it changes the terrain completely.

Dune

How about decreasing the displacement by half? Or use a transform shader after the fractal terrain and decrease Y by half....

WAS

You can also convert to scalar, and pipe back into a displacement shader which will than give you a displacement multiplier.

Though by what you're explaining, I'm not sure why not changing the PF/Heightfield displacement multipliers wouldn't work. You shouldn't need to edit the PF fractal scales, but the displacement amplitude.

If you mean changing the scale of the whole setup, without effecting PF settings, you can use the same method from line one, except adding a transform input shader before the displacement shader. See example files.

jackblack

Yeah, the Y value is not the problem, WAS, you're pretty much correct on what I'm trying to do, but my versions (the newest version) seems to have a lot of quirks and I've found that some things do not work at all at sometimes and at other times they work great.

WAS

Things in Final Position cannot be scaled/altered.

Oshyan

I believe this should work if you feed it into a Transform Input, and adjust Scale, then adjust Displacement Amplitude by the same relative amount. So for example let's say I wanted to reduce the scale to half of what it was. Transform Input -> Scale, 0.5, 0.5, 0.5, and then Displacement Amplitude (in default scene) from 2000 to 1000.

- Oshyan