Not Strata

Started by RichTwo, December 04, 2018, 09:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I am always trying to replicate terrain features that Nature alone has wrought.  In doing that I feel I have gotten something going on here.  But to me the strata is way too uniform.  It is a function based displacement, not the Strata Outcrop node.  I am wondering if a Redirect shader with a PF  in the Y direction would do something, but what settings would be work.  Anyway, credits to mhaze for the stepped terrain file and Mr. Lamppost for the grasses both of which I have mutilated.  Just a test.   
They're all wasted!

Jo Kariboo

Very beautiful picture at all levels. I particularly like the concern of the work given to the ground, (water vegetation and rocks).

Dune

Nice 'strata' indeed. If you want to break this up, you could mask by PF of course, but also warp the horizontal lines before applying to the sides. I've done that a couple of times.

mhaze

Redirecting in Y works nicely too.

RichTwo

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2018, 01:02:55 AM
Nice 'strata' indeed. If you want to break this up, you could mask by PF of course, but also warp the horizontal lines before applying to the sides. I've done that a couple of times.

Thanks, Ulco - I am using a PF as a mask.  Couldn't see its affect until inverted and unchecked "Mask as coverage".  Also applied a warp, but still not having much luck.  It's a trick to learn the settings, an I haven't quite gotten it yet.  I'm trying out other settings and will probably re-post here later on.

And thanks to all for your comments!
They're all wasted!

mhaze

Here you go - the PF controls the size and displacement of the strata.

RichTwo

Quote from: mhaze on December 05, 2018, 12:22:05 PM
Here you go - the PF controls the size and displacement of the strata.

Thanks, Mick - I toyed with a low-scale / displacement PF and got something useful.  But I will give yours a shot, and by all means thanks for sharing!
They're all wasted!