Broken Shadows on Objects

Started by WAS, December 05, 2018, 02:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

I remember this having to do with faces or normals or something, but I can't figure out how to fix it. I recalculating normals as smooth and it's worse, I tried subdivision and it breaks the object to much. I tried turning off object surface displacement but that makes it waaay worse. And the only way to somewhat hide it is displacement set to 1 and waaaay exaggerated.

Dune

That's something I've encountered as well. If bump is too high it'll occur, and sometimes an offset in bump will help.

WAS

Quote from: Dune on December 05, 2018, 03:17:34 AM
That's something I've encountered as well. If bump is too high it'll occur, and sometimes an offset in bump will help.

YEah it's weird, when the bump/disp is disabled it's all along the whole side, with 0.05 it looks as is in the image, with it set to 1 (with it super grainy and bumped) it actually hides it pretty well. Going to try an offset.

These displacement maps should be pretty accurate as instead of going off diffusion/colour they are rebuild via the normal map's perceived 2D displacement.

I've also viewed the UV in both OpenGL and DX and have no issue in multiple viewers, including simple texture viewers.

Update: Offset works like a charm! I'm not sure if this causing any other issues but at a glance (render) it looks fine. Thanks Ulco.

Update 2: This does unfortunately offset reverse shadows on the undersides of hangs it seems, pushing them away until barely present.