Resume Render

Started by bugs.and.other.beasts, December 05, 2018, 06:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugs.and.other.beasts

3D environments (especially volumetric materials) take a long time to render, is there a way to resume a render? save the project, swicth off the computer, travel, .... whatever and then resume where you've left it?

Oshyan

There is no simple way at this time to resume a render. It is a complicated feature to implement. It may be possible in the future with the Path Tracer, if we implement progressive rendering for final frames.

- Oshyan

bugs.and.other.beasts

In a few hours I have a intercontinental flight. My render hasn't finished (busy all night) and won't finish before the flight.

But guess what, I'm rendering now in Vue, so I can stop it, and resume it later.
How come e-on vue had it for ages, and you are telling me in about 2019, Terragen still doesn't see the "light" for this feature.

Have a look at the attached picture of the render I have just stopped now, I've hidden the scene but you can see the dialogue box. I like that dialogue box so much that I keep it coming back although I can choose "don't show again".

Guys we need you take some features more seriously, like try harder, not because you have to, but because people will have to go to another software to ensure they can finish a render. Every night, the question pops up in my mind which render to launch, and Vue wins every time because if it hasn't finished I can resume the following night or another time. Busy taking a shower, resume the render. Stop it, continue working on other things, then go shopping resume the render...

Terragen is young but has brought excellent features (e.g. vdb export which Vue doesn't have), this means when want, you really can.
So do you want?

Kadri

Be safe and check your subscription first before too.

Matt

I appreciate the feature request, and I will bump the priority in this.

However, requests to "try harder" may be met by eye-rolling. We have a long list of feature requests and are constantly working on it, resulting in things like VDB export. We are also working on innovations that go beyond what's offered by other software at the moment, some of which will be revealed in 2019. So it's always a question of what to prioritise.

I also hope we can add this feature soon.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.