I want more realism, I need more realism !

Started by iaminonsiner, December 08, 2018, 03:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iaminonsiner

If someone here had the time to explain how to put stones in a specific place ( with masks), if they didn't hesitate to do so, it would help me a lot and it would help other people.

I tried with someone on a Discord and I took him a lot of time and I have a lot of difficulty to get a result and I don't want to take all of her time so... It would be really cool.

On my side, I'll run some tests to see if I can do it alone but I doubt  ;D

Thank you guys.

Dune

Here's a very simple, basic way to mask distribution of stones.

iaminonsiner

Quote from: Dune on December 11, 2018, 01:17:20 AM
Here's a very simple, basic way to mask distribution of stones.

I see the results and I see what I need to do but I don't know how to do, it's a problem. I understand all the elements but I can't understand how to mix them and get a good result...

N-drju

@iaminonsiner - Not to boast myself too much, but I have made some really nice-looking rocks in a not-too-distant past:

https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,24085.msg243325.html#msg243325

I am sure I saved them as a clip file somewhere. I can share it or send it to you if you're interested.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

iaminonsiner

Indeed, it is a good result! I have worked a lot on the stones on my side and I manage to have beautiful stones like the others, my new issue is for the masking and succeeding to put stones in one place and not on the rest of my terrain, just this.

iaminonsiner

I quoted myself by error and I don't know how to delete this post so...  ;D

N-drju

Stones can simply be masked with a use of a painted shader if you prefer to hand-pick place them. You can also use one of the SSS variations - these also offer good masking and a great deal of control. However, it is tough to decide which of these offers the most realistic results. ;) Sometimes even a painted shader may offer more natural solutions despite generally being most artificial!

A tip on the stone coloration if I may suggest - It is good to have several, varied power fractals to do colors but each power fractal should only have one color enabled. Why? Because if you have two-colored power fractal, then it will completely cover all colors beneath and you will need to use mask to leave some empty spaces.

If you have a one-colored PF, then other, lower-laying colors will show through the empty spaces without you having to use masks! First you apply, say, gray and only gray, then black, then brown, then bordeaux etc, etc.

If you are generally happy with your stones so far, these tips should not be black magic to you. You may save them for a future use though. ;) And of course, let us know what else do you need.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

lookdev

Are stones the only way to create details? How do I get a small scale displacement at the terrain level that I can take out of Terragen as part of the heightfield and still see it when the heightfield is imported in another software

Dune

No, any displacement will do. But exporting small details will need a huge and very detailed exported file. If at all possible, that is.

lookdev

Is it possible to get a screen print showing the node to use and where to place it (network view), the values (properties windows) and a render.

Only for the small level displacement, nothing else, just the default scene + the displacement.

Oshyan

Quote from: lookdev on December 12, 2018, 04:06:08 AM
Are stones the only way to create details? How do I get a small scale displacement at the terrain level that I can take out of Terragen as part of the heightfield and still see it when the heightfield is imported in another software

This is exactly what I explained earlier in the thread:
https://planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,26069.msg258995.html#msg258995

- Oshyan