Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

lookdev

Quote from: archonforest on December 10, 2018, 10:59:18 AM
Download this file. It can help you to start:

http://www.cgscenery.com/arid_dl/

Thank you very much, 100 times. But maybe already you expect the second part where I tell you something like: this node network is impenetrable for a beginner.
I've opened tried to figure out what was going on, if it was a one direction flow, I may figure it out, but there are too many interlinks to digest.
this doesn't reduce the 100 times thank you.

archonforest

Well yes this is not a very easy one. Perhaps you can turn off all the nodes and turn them back on one by one to see what they do. This can help to understand what is going on.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

WAS

Node tree structure, naming convention, etc, is almost entirely lacking from most community projects.

If you search Canyons in the File Sharing section though you'll come across lots of projects, some a lot more basic to start from.

Dune

I think many serious, realistic cliff setups will be quite incomprehensible for a beginner. Simple setups are possible, but they wouldn't have all the intricacy of realism.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on December 11, 2018, 01:26:49 AM
I think many serious, realistic cliff setups will be quite incomprehensible for a beginner. Simple setups are possible, but they wouldn't have all the intricacy of realism.

Dare to disagree. ;)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

Think of the node network like a river with many tributaries running to the sea.
Information starts at the top and is added to and modified as it runs down the network towards the final planet node.

Also bare in mind (as I'm sure you know) that in your opening example above many elements (the entire foreground for example) are composited over and projected onto the terragen base terrain.
Terragen is rarely if ever used as a complete all in one solution. It is intended to be used as part of a larger visual development process combining output from many different sources.

Attached is a VERY BASIC setup mimicking the image in your opening post. Obviously it would require a lot of development, many more surface layers and subtle displacements to get a finished look but the basic elements are there.

As with most modern programs there are many ways of achieving similar results, none are more right than others and much is a matter of personal preference and circumstance.

(note the Compute Terrain node and the Tex coords from XYZ in Group 01, these are essential for lateral displacements such as in the detail of cliff faces)

Hope this helps
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Wow, that's really a close reproduction of the reference image!!!!

N-drju

Quote from: cyphyr on December 11, 2018, 05:02:18 AM
As with most modern programs there are many ways of achieving similar results, none are more right than others and much is a matter of personal preference and circumstance.

Well said!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Right on Richard...well 'splained for certain...maybe you should also post this in File Sharing with 'Beginner' in it's title....a great entry level tute!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist