Why I cannot rotate my terrain?

Started by bugs.and.other.beasts, December 11, 2018, 01:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugs.and.other.beasts

Put the camera in the right place, right background mountains... then import a terrain but Why I cannot rotate my terrain?

Kadri

Quote from: bugs.and.other.beasts on December 11, 2018, 01:13:53 PM
Put the camera in the right place, right background mountains... then import a terrain but surprised I cannot rotate it, so Terragen, not me, dictates what side of the terrain the camera should see.
What is this? what sense or lack thereof is behind this extremely rarely phenomenon?

Finding bugs or limitations is good for software. Don't know why, but i can't say i like your attitude much.

archonforest

Ditto.
Perhaps the correct question would be:"Why I cannot rotate my terrain?" or "Can someone tell me how to rotate my terrain?"
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Quote from: archonforest on December 11, 2018, 01:53:26 PM
Perhaps the correct question would be:"Why I cannot rotate my terrain?" or "Can someone tell me how to rotate my terrain?"

:)

We have an idiom, that i don't know the English for, that is something like this:
Is it grape you want to eat or to beat the grape grower.

cyphyr

Terrains can not be rotated because (I believe) they are based on geo-spatial coordinates (or something like that).

If you want to rotate a terrain the easiest way would be to import it as an image and use that as a displacement.
The image node has its own displacement tab or you can pass it through a separate displacement node.
You will have to manually input the height value (Displacement amplitude) to fit your needs.
After you have displaced your terrain you can add a transform node to move and rotate the displacement to your desired location.

Hope that helps.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Matt

A rotation control is being added to the Heightfield Shader right now.

Until that's released, you might be able to load the image into an Image Map Shader, then rotate and position that using a Transform Input Shader (more details in the message above from cyphyr).
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

bugs.and.other.beasts

Quote from: Matt on December 11, 2018, 04:26:36 PM
A rotation control is being added to the Heightfield Shader right now.

Until that's released, you might be able to load the image into an Image Map Shader, then rotate and position that using a Transform Input Shader (more details in the message above from cyphyr).

Many thanks

bugs.and.other.beasts

Release 4.3.21 mentions on the change log that I can rotate non-georeferenced heightfields.
I've unchecked all georeference stuff.
The rotate icon is still greyed, how do I rotate the heightfield?

Matt

At the moment it needs to be rotated with the rotation parameter in the Heightfield Shader parameter window. It's on the 'Location' tab. 3D Preview handle integration will come next.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.