"Colour adjust" usage

Started by N-drju, December 13, 2018, 01:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

I'm afraid I don't really get an idea behind the "color adjust" shader. It kind of annoys me, since I have seen a ton of clip files that successfully use it and I don't know why or how. ;)

My intended use would be to darken the power fractals without necessarily changing colors in the PF tab. That's because in a sunny weather, even very dark textures turn to be unnaturally bright... Somehow however, it just doesn't go right and the results are generally mediocre - either too dark (blackening) or unaltered.

Any suggestions or rules of thumb that I should keep in mind as far as the "color adjust" goes?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

René

I find the colour adjust shader very useful when I use the same mask (power fractal) for different shaders. I can then make the mask harder or softer as needed or expand and shrink it for each separate shader.
It is also useful if you want to change the overall colour of a group of nodes at once. Using the colour adjust shader for colour correction is a bit tricky because small adjustments can lead to big differences.

Dune

Yes, color adjust is extremely useful; I use it all the time, especially to soften or harden masks, or (partly) change colors. Like when you have a beach and want to make wet sand; set upper limit in a surface shader, add a color adjust as child and set gamma to 0.8 or so, add a (no-RT, or sometimes RT) reflective shader between those et voila, wet sand. You can also mask a surface shader (+ color adjust) by a XZ stretched PF to darken part of a rock wall into strata layers.

N-drju

So how to use it? Do I just run output into a "color adjust" input and that's it?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Yeah, or add as child to empty surface layer. Experiment a bit and you'll find out.

N-drju

That's what I'd like to do. :) Alright, so I got the general idea correctly.