How hot can it get?

Started by N-drju, December 17, 2018, 01:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Good morning everyone,

It's chilly outside (to say the least) and this is why I pay closer attention to the sources of warmth... or heat to be more precise!

I would like to ask you guys, what is the current temperature of your CPU during a standard working session in Terragen?

I noticed a slight FPS drop in some of my games, but TG seems unaffected. However, when I measured the CPU heat with the "Real Temp" program I got 90, 86, 90, 91 degree Celcius readouts in each of the quad cores. The fourth core seems to be impacted most, as during a rendering the "HOT" sign blinks on and off intermittently, which is not too good I suppose.

A deadline for thermal paste reapplication, which I self-imposed to myself, is due in February 2019. I just wonder if I should react now, or if I can possibly ride through the remaining 50 - 60 days with what I have now?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

That seems to be pretty hot. My 4 cores are around 58ºC when rendering, with the fourth actually, usually, being 2º cooler. Idle is 31 or so.

archonforest

Is this just happened recently?

I would inspect the fans and the heat sink first. Does the fan work and rotates with the correct rpm?(Meaning fast enough?) Is the heat-sink full of dust? Clean them FULLY and see what happen. If this not solves the situation then you can try re-apply the thermal paste. Make sure u not putting too much as that can also block the heat dissipation.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

N-drju

Oh, but... one thing I forgot to mention is that it is a gaming laptop. :P Correct me if I'm wrong but you use a classic PC Ulco, correct?

@archonforest - But what temperatures do you have? PC or laptop?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

archonforest

Quote from: N-drju on December 17, 2018, 04:28:28 AM
Oh, but... one thing I forgot to mention is that it is a gaming laptop. :P Correct me if I'm wrong but you use a classic PC Ulco, correct?

@archonforest - But what temperatures do you have? PC or laptop?

Hmm...the temps of my CPUs are around 60-70Celsius under load. This is a Dell workstation with very good airflow and big metal fans. Also the machine is very clean inside.

Laptop CPU usually using less power than the Desktop version of the same model....thus I would say they should be cooler.
Is the computer clean inside? The airflow is okay?

N-drju

Quote from: archonforest on December 17, 2018, 04:48:44 AM
Laptop CPU usually using less power than the Desktop version of the same model....thus I would say they should be cooler.

It doesn't quite work that way. Power usage is just a fraction of any temperature you get. It's largely a matter of physical composition. Laptops tend to be hotter than PCs, because all components inside, are very tightly and neatly packed and they are bound to experience higher temperatures (to which, in most part, they are accustomed to) because it is harder to release the heat.

Bottom line, while 75C would be heavy for a PC, it is a dream temperature for an under-stress lap top. 90C with a 15C distance to the maximum value is not too good. However, I can't see any telltale signs of overheating or thermal throttling and this is why I am undecided whether it is time for maintenance, or not. :-\

archonforest

Perhaps just blow some air into the place where the air gets in so it cleans through the air channel.