Terrain Noise

Started by OldFlak, December 19, 2018, 05:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

You may consider some Photoshop filter to get a render turn more cartoonish. I don't know which, though, but there must be other ways to 1. have a low render time and 2. make a 'normal' render like a cartoon..

Oshyan

I love those clouds, those are fantastic!!

In your screenshot from the game *everything* looks blurry. The terrain just may look more blurry compared to the clouds because there is *more fine detail there*. But what that results suggests to me is that either A: you need more resolution (higher resolution render) for the skybox, or B: your game engine does not render skyboxes in high enough quality for some reason. It does not look to me like a lacking amount of terrain detail, basically, more like a lack of image resolution relative to the size of the skybox in the view of the player.

- Oshyan

OldFlak

Quote from: Oshyan on December 23, 2018, 02:04:55 PM
I love those clouds, those are fantastic!

They look awesome in the engine, will make video to show it when finished :)

So what about the render times mentioned above - are they reasonable, or really excessive?

Quote from: Oshyan on December 23, 2018, 02:04:55 PM
In your screenshot from the game *everything* looks blurry. The terrain just may look more blurry compared to the clouds because there is *more fine detail there*. But what that results suggests to me is that either A: you need more resolution (higher resolution render) for the skybox, or B: your game engine does not render skyboxes in high enough quality for some reason. It does not look to me like a lacking amount of terrain detail, basically, more like a lack of image resolution relative to the size of the skybox in the view of the player.

Yes you do loose quality in game engines as a result of .dds format.

Perhaps cranking up the AA will result in it being more crisp? Will have time to play with that over next few days, will do a crop render just to see. But the render time is already way up there :)

I usually go for 2048x2048 renders with skyboxes. These are rendered at 1024x1024, going to 2048x2048 would make for a very very long render time I think  :-\

As said the time does not matter to me I just don't really know if the render time is reasonable or not.

Thanks for the feedback....

OldFlak....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Oshyan

I don't think AA will help. I am pretty confident that the image resolution is the problem. 1024px is actually very low for covering the background of a scene with a typical game field of view. You just need more resolution. That will of course increase render time. I would say your i3 processor is probably your main limit there, although 8GB of RAM is also not very much. Pixel Plow would probably make quick work of it, and at low priority it would also be fairly cheap I would guess. But if you have no budget for that we might be able to optimize the render times more for you if you send the scene to support AT planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan

OldFlak

Thanks Oshyan.

Yeah did a test render at 2048 with AA 3 (although with terrain disabled), which took 6:05:11 to complete and it was not very good at all - the 1024 with AA 6 was easily way better.

If I rendered at 2048 with the same settings it would probably look real nice I think - but on my setup it would be an insane render time - lol :)

Time for a new PC me thinks .....  :-[

Haven't been able to work out how to get TG to render all the cube faces automatically yet, so have to do each face manually, so can't use Pixel Plow I guess.

May take you up on the offer to optimize the file for me - I would probably learn a lot from your improvements.

Thanks for the input

OldFlak....
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4160 @ 3,60GHz. 8GB Ram. NVidia GeForce GTX 750. Acer 24" Monitors x 2 @ 1920 x 1080. Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.