Started as yet another beach doodle

Started by bobbystahr, December 28, 2018, 12:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

and this is what developed. Seems I shop for free stuff same place as Ulco as it turned out in my seashell search(unfortunately on the boat anchor pc to my left), I found a limpet.obj...so I popped it on a rock now knowing where and how it lives...thank you WIKI. At 11:30:31 I suspect this may never get done right till my boat anchor is up and running again....sigh. C&C welcome as always.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Nice one. I think the waves are way too big. Some tuning is needed there. Otherwise love the atmo and the colors. :)
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on December 28, 2018, 01:31:46 PM
Nice one. I think the waves are way too big. Some tuning is needed there. Otherwise love the atmo and the colors. :)

Thanks. Yeah, I have a hard time with water, worked the longest on that with diminishing results. Only thing longer was the render which I doubt I'll redo till I get the Corsair up and running, but that's a cash strapped situation.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

I really like the mood but the waves are too big and distracting.

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on December 28, 2018, 05:07:11 PM
I really like the mood but the waves are too big and distracting.

Well I was trying for a stormy sea like the awesome Atlantic.tgc but seem to not be getting water lately...will try again but will be rendering lower res as with only this DELL working another 11+ hr render would in fact render me unable to do anything
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

sboerner

Love the mood and lowering skies here. There is something about those waves, but maybe it's the frequency and not the amplitude. Maybe try larger swells (horizontal scale) but keep the height? Also maybe dial back the brilliance of the lighthouse . . . like to see some detail of the housing there.

Overall another good one. You are so productive!

bobbystahr

Quote from: sboerner on December 29, 2018, 12:40:55 PM
Love the mood and lowering skies here. There is something about those waves, but maybe it's the frequency and not the amplitude. Maybe try larger swells (horizontal scale) but keep the height? Also maybe dial back the brilliance of the lighthouse . . . like to see some detail of the housing there.

Overall another good one. You are so productive!

more like a bored obsessive compulsive retiree with ADD  but thanks.I'll work on those...already have better water figured and I agree on the lighthouse. It's a 20 yr old Imagine 3D product which I should share as it's one of my few really neat models; this one is of an actual east coast of Canada lighthouse. Lost the reference pic or I'd post that as well.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

There's quite some potential in this one, but you have to take it further (and not jump to another one again, though I now know why you do that  ;) :P)
I would 1. try to get it right with flat water first (ground, veggies, light and all), then concentrate on coast and waves. Then 2. decrease the light considerably, and maybe make it a beam, shining through mist. Grasses and shrub on land.
Then 3. stretch coastal waves and you can try with a twist and shear (or vector displacement) to make them 'curvy' a bit towards the coast. Get altitude off them and/or use min alti to add some foam.
If you take the altitude off the land (displ to scalar and a color adjust with altitudes), you can also make a coastal frothy area...

Etc.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 30, 2018, 02:07:18 AM
There's quite some potential in this one, but you have to take it further (and not jump to another one again, though I now know why you do that  ;) :P)
I would 1. try to get it right with flat water first (ground, veggies, light and all), then concentrate on coast and waves. Then 2. decrease the light considerably, and maybe make it a beam, shining through mist. Grasses and shrub on land.
Then 3. stretch coastal waves and you can try with a twist and shear (or vector displacement) to make them 'curvy' a bit towards the coast. Get altitude off them and/or use min alti to add some foam.
If you take the altitude off the land (displ to scalar and a color adjust with altitudes), you can also make a coastal frothy area...

Etc.

Oh I intend to but am staying away from veg as it a desolate, almost post apocalyptic place. And I have jumped to another that's been rendering for 5 hrs already but I got some cool water in it. Will try and implement that (displ to scalar and a color adjust with altitudes), thing on the desolate scene. was just awaiting more input, well yours anyway till I went back to it. Some good news, the cash is appearing soon(a post new year week gig) to get the corsair back up and running so the renders won't be taking all day...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

That's good to hear, Bobby! Starting out the new year with a good, paying gig is wonderful.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 30, 2018, 02:31:51 AM
That's good to hear, Bobby! Starting out the new year with a good, paying gig is wonderful.
Quote from: Dune on December 30, 2018, 02:31:51 AM

indeed, maybe that's why this year was so lean, Didn't have any music work till February.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Really high potential in this picture! Would be great if you give Ulco's suggestion with the flat water a try.
(but of course music work first :) )

archonforest

Yeah do it do it! This is great stuff.
I can render it for you if you make a package out of it.  ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on December 31, 2018, 03:06:55 AM
I can render it for you if you make a package out of it.  ;)

Still struggling with water,...still ain't got anything I like but I will gather it up when I get the water...thanks Atilla
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on December 31, 2018, 11:04:26 AM
Quote from: archonforest on December 31, 2018, 03:06:55 AM
I can render it for you if you make a package out of it.

Still struggling with water,...still ain't got anything I like but I will gather it up when I get the water...thanks Atilla
;)