latest TG4 release giving my Win 8.1 memory allocaation problems

Started by Shield Wulf, December 28, 2018, 06:31:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt

Hi Randy,

Apologies for the late reply here. I don't know what the cause is from the logs you posted. Which version of Terragen were you using before the issues started? I would suggest going back to that version and using it for a while to see if the problems go away. If you have no problems with the old version then we'll have a strong indication that the problem really is in the recent version(s). It might be caused by something else that changed on your system, so it's important to establish this first, and if it's really in a recent change to Terragen we can try to work out exactly when the problem started.

If you no longer have the previous version to install, email us at support@planetside.co.uk and we'll get you set up with whichever previous installer you need.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Shield Wulf

Hi Matt,

Without looking at my system to verify what version I was using before I updated i will have to check and see I will take care of your suggestions later today and then let you know what my findings are beginning next week. Wow that sure was a long run on sentence my high school English teacher would be proud of me for that one. Öl.....

Thanks for getting back to me on this guys.
More to come I am sure......
Randy
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is of utmost importance.

You are he who directs the sun ship of millions of years.......

Matt

Every project file (TGD) is tagged with the version number that it was last saved from. You could load some of your projects into Terragen and click on the "Project Settings" button at the bottom left of the main window to access this information.

Shield Wulf

Thanks Matt for that information. I will keep on working with TG.

I will post you on my next set of results.

One question though can I put on my machine both the older and newer
TG's. How would windows react to that?

Thanks Randy
To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is of utmost importance.

Matt

Yes you can, but it's best if you install earlier versions first and install the latest version last. This way you don't have to uninstall anything. It's also best if you treat the latest version as your main version. This minimizes confusion about which version of the application Windows chooses to open (sometimes it seems to have a mind of its own). File associations will be set up to open with the most recently installed version, regardless of version number.

The way I do it is I always keep the latest version in the default install location, i.e. "C:\Program Files\Planetside Software\Terragen 4", and it's always installed last. Every time I'm about to install a new version, first I make a copy of the currently installed Terragen 4 folder, give the copy a name that includes the version number, then install the latest version to the default location.

Shield Wulf

Hi Matt,

I reloaded the windows system but kept apps, documents and settings today to rule out anything in there misleading plus it will have all the latest updates from Msoft. Then this weekend I will see what comes up with TG4 old and new. That's some great advice you provided thanks very much for that.

Randy

Shield Wulf

Hi Matt,

Now I understand more in depth the meaning of having a good validated system backup offline. At least it's a clean system now. And I followed your suggestion in reply 19 and it worked like a champ to have both versions on my machine at the same time.

Now can both installed versions share a library or will that have to be set separately as well? My guess is that yes they have to be two different libraries one for each version. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Randy

Oshyan

They should actually use the same Library since it's stored in a separate, central location and referenced by any installed version.
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Planetside Software\Terragen 4\Terragen Library (on Windows)

This is actually a potential source of versioning issues, and I would not recommend saving anything to the library while running multiple instances from different versions for that reason. But in general it should be fine. If we were to make an update to the Library database system you would not want to write to the library with older versions after that however.

- Oshyan

Shield Wulf

Yes that makes total sense thanks.

Continuing to test......