The missing Bridge of Adama

Started by DocCharly65, January 01, 2019, 04:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

A happy, successful and healthy new year to everybody :)

After more than a year of searching on all relevant websites I finally found it  these days: An adequate bridge for my Commander Adama. It will be not "the" Galactica bridge but I think it's a nice and suitable interpretation.

Now I can go on with some missing communication between Adama and Kirk on their ships.

The model is so far the most expensive and biggest (over 350 MB) in my film but in only 1 day I already finished a big part of preparing the model for Terragen. I think it's worth every cent: No flipped normals, all texture/normal maps perfectly named to easily assign them to the object parts.
...and I am a little proud of my first experiment to place some transparent HUDs and the Moon hologram ;)

[attach=1]

My Adama (the animated mix of my self modelled Adama-Facegen-Head in Helmet and a 3DRT-Soldier is just placed for Test as well as some sitting 3DRT soldiers)
Starship Command Center  by FattyPants on CG Trader (for Christmas sale at 140 instead of 200$ net.)

...of course before I start the detail work and create the script for the animations and so on I will finish the safari- and the City at night scenes -- and some more...  ;)

masonspappy

Dune

Same to you, Nils. Keep up this wonderful adventure! And stay healthy!

N-drju

Not bad. Well designed and not overdone as far as details and effects are concerned.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Very cool, that model is as much almost as my upgrade will be..sigh
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Hannes

Great work, Nils! I know how tedious it can be to rework the shading of a complex model in TG.
There are two things that I'd like to critisize:
I'm not sure about the bloom. To me it somehow doesn't really work with the scene, but that's probably a matter of taste.
And on the windows there are some sort of images (I don't know what these are), that seem to be unaffected by the bloom, so they look quite dark and contrasty compared to the rest of the render.

DocCharly65

Thanks all :)

You're right, Hannes. There's still much to do. The Bloom and lighting is just copied from the Enterprise-Bridge scenes - I was a bit lazy and just wanted to test the model as fast as possible ;) .
The windows will be hologram huds in the future. I will sort and choose what is displayed on them later. I wanted only to test if the transparency works.

All in all really just a test. Detail work will come over the year.

At the moment I work on a starship corridor. A good example for the difference between a 200 and a 20 $ model. I am working on that single model since over a week and I will need one or two more. The typical low-cost-model problems: Many parts mirrored and with flipped normals - sometimes only single faces and no automatic "recalculate normals outside" works. Also quite untidy faces and verticals so that tubes turn into boxes when you move around them and many object parts are not textured or bad mapped... But don't understand me wrong! Making that model was surely hard work enough and worth 20$ but the effort to do it in the quality I want is really high.

But no more complaining - I finally chose this hobby myself ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 04, 2019, 01:51:57 PM
Thanks all :)

But no more complaining - I finally chose this hobby myself ;)

heh heh heh, it chose me....I have nowhere near your apptitude
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65

Time to go on in the animation dept. :)

But just to introduce:

These are so called "Gronks". They are loot-dogs and mostly with their nose on the floor to collect everything they find on the floor ;D

Their names?
The white one: 3D-RT (if 3DRT.com give me their permission)
and the red one: T4-2 (a very british loot-dog ;) )

I did a minimum at quality improvement: one time subdivided and smoothed - more distroyed some vertivals somehow... For the animated views they should look good enough.

[attach=1]

[attach=2]

The background and why I decided to integrate them?
I am just unsatified with the dog in the "Alien on the Enterprise" scene. I almost hate the animation of that dog... these robot puppies by 3DRT are on one hand animated a bit better and additional humans usually identify bad animations much easier at well known animals. A robot puppie's "natural movement" can be easier accepted if it's not so perfect...

bobbystahr

cute puppy bots and I agree with your reasoning on the animation thing...a dog lover would be pointing out every wrong thing but with a robo puppy who'd to say....but who listens to a smart fridge any way heh heh heh...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Stormlord

Nice but why not making the picture a little bit more clear and spicy?
From my point of view it is to dark and with a little support of Poposhop you could make it look much more spicy.

I just tried it and if you like you can have look into the psd file, if you have Photoshop?

[attachimg=1]
Comparison

STORMLORD

bobbystahr

Quote from: Stormlord on April 26, 2019, 10:56:58 AM
Nice but why not making the picture a little bit more clear and spicy?
From my point of view it is to dark and with a little support of Poposhop you could make it look much more spicy.

I just tried it and if you like you can have look into the psd file, if you have Photoshop?

[attachimg=1]
Comparison

STORMLORD

you may have forgotten but all the frames Doc posts are out of his 'in progress' animation and it would be a major pain to tweak each frame Dirk...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Stormlord

Oh... I could'nt know that!
It was just an idea for improvement Bobbystar

STORMLORD

Oshyan

You can apply post processing in video editors too. Doc has his visual aesthetic, he probably applies some simple post work to his taste... In this case I agree a bit more contrast could be good though.

- Oshyan

DocCharly65

Thank you Bobby and Oshyan for defending my visual aesthetics :)
You're all a bit right - also you Stormlord.

In the Film intro you heard that the human politicians still discuss the usage of the nine big starships - yes you guess right - the Galactica is one of the nine (in my film ;) ) and it is the only battlestar ever to be put into service...  Most systems are offline, poorly maintained and everything is in modest to inadequate condition ... a challenging job for Adama  :o ::)

... and if you think the renders look gloomy, depressing and unsightly... I did a good job for my intentions ;D ... but a bit more contrast in the final video may be possible, Oshyan and Stormlord :)