Push vertical surface in

Started by N-drju, January 02, 2019, 01:14:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

That's why I think it's always good to start from scratch (don't throw in big, and especially third party's, tgc's) and build up the main structures first, then start to define smaller elements.
The numbers, btw, are just altitudes. With each smooth step, you make a step; first  between 20 and 20.5m, so half a meter for a rather flat (it would be ugly if you make it zero, I think) bulge-in edge. In the upper it's a softer 25 to 30m step for the wall to bulge out again. And the warping makes it go up and down of course. You can even make some sort of stairway like this, with a distance shader set as warper/vdisp input.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 07, 2019, 02:13:16 AM
That's why I think it's always good to start from scratch (don't throw in big, and especially third party's, tgc's) and build up the main structures first, then start to define smaller elements.

I don't quite get your point. I am unable to add third party .tgc for just the reason that I started everything from scratch... ;)

Yes, I understand what the steps are for, but a little change is enough for a dimwit like me to destroy this setup. I just don't know if and where in my node network could I put your piece, given that I have a redirected curve for the hero land mass. This feature, consists from another five elements... You see what I mean?

I would have to find another redirect curve that would also bend your setup. And even if I did, I'd have no idea which of the nodes from your example should obtain that mask...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Well, it's maybe not this file that doesn't have tgc's added, but I was speaking in general; just adding comprehensive tgc's is not always wise (smooth elemnt in it or so, that destroys all before).

Maybe you can add this warp/redirect after all your warps/redirects? Or yours after mine  ;) Can't tell without tgd.

N-drju

Heh, I gotta determine it myself. From what I observe, redirecting SSS is suitable for only one size of terrain. Give or take 100 meters in width and it won't work with another feature. It might be time consuming to "plant" anything like that in a generally-ready landscape...

I admit - perhaps this network of yours is not as scary as it seemed at first. I still don't get two things though;

1. How do I raise an altitude of the path itself? In your example it runs at about 15 meters from the leveled area. What if I want it 80 or 500 meters above "zero" point? Shall I adjust some of them constant scalars? :-\

2. What about this nasty stretching that occurs on a path area...?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Yes, adjust the scalars to new altitudes; the difference between each set being the corner itself, so to speak. So 50 and 50.5m will angle inward at 50m over a half meter of corner. Vdisping out again at say 60m ; just add 60 in the left input and maybe 65 in the max/right input of the smooth scalar, and you have a soft top to push out again.
Or use these values and add a transform shader (or two) to lift the whole thing. You could even add a constant vector with a Y input for lifting the get altitude. Needs an add vecor and constant vector.
The stretching can perhaps be overcome by adding another compute terrain or tex from XYZ shader, and add your small displacements and colors after it. You just have to try what works.
But maybe that's not even needed. Masking those areas for say gravel on your path is harder.

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on January 07, 2019, 09:28:31 AM
Masking those areas for say gravel on your path is harder.

Here, you meant "easier" I hope? :D

Ok. I think adjusting the scalar values should do as a height control.

cyphyr

Just thought of a potential "brute force" solution ... you could use a camera projected image.
Make a VERY large image of a white line on a blackground and project through an ortho camera at 90deg to the vertical.
It would probably need to be fed through a masked surface layer ...
Might help :)

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

That would work. I did that once with painted stairs. But I wasn't overwhelmed by enthusiasm.

N-drju

Quote from: cyphyr on January 07, 2019, 01:07:15 PM
Just thought of a potential "brute force" solution ... you could use a camera projected image.
Make a VERY large image of a white line on a blackground and project through an ortho camera at 90deg to the vertical.
It would probably need to be fed through a masked surface layer ...

Creative. ;) Perhaps it would need to have edges already smoothed-out in whatever graphics program you use, but apart from this, one may work with that.

The only problem lies within the fact that you will have to redo and re-save an image over again if it turns out poorly.

I don't think I'll have time to sit down to TG until at least weekend. Anyway, knock yourself out if you have any other thoughts or comments.