City and the Stars

Started by RichTwo, February 03, 2019, 03:07:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Thanks to Richard Fraser (cyphyr) for sharing the models.  Now I'd like to internally light them.  I placed a light source in one of the towers and nothing happened.  The dark areas are all glass shaders.  I tried checking the two sided feature and they disappeared.  I did a Forum search and didn't find anything on how to do it, so maybe it isn't possible?
They're all wasted!

cyphyr

Cool image :)
I couldn't get it to look good either. I ended up using a reflective shader with the reflective value ramped up to 10 or 20 or something.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

If you want to just light them, you can set luminosty at some value and color. Not using a glass shader but the default. And for refelction, indeed an RT reflective shader under that.

DocCharly65

I didn't play with these models so far but what I would do:
Try to seperate the glass parts as their own objects and delete the glass part in the rest. Then you have one object without glass and one with only the glass. For the glass parts you use only a glass shader and set rendering without causing shadows.

The other way is more complicated: I would remap the glass parts and design an illumination map and combine the surface (default-) shader with a reflection shader. Much work but you could give each window the look you want to have. This of course is not very suitable for close looks or if you want have a look to the interior of the buildings.

Dune

If you set luminosity to the 'glass' parts in just the default shader you can also vary the windows lightness randomly by PF + transform world.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 04, 2019, 05:37:51 AM
If you set luminosity to the 'glass' parts in just the default shader you can also vary the windows lightness randomly by PF + transform world.

oooh good trick Ulco...I'll definitely remember that!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist