WIP animation old scene frame

Started by Kadri, January 03, 2019, 03:26:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DocCharly65

Great so far! :)  I'm looking forward to the version with stars... or better - the final animation ;)

Kadri

Thanks.
Wish i had a new computer then it could be finished in 2-3 weeks :)

jaf

A quick question -- maybe a bit off topic, but fits here I think.  I've been using Topaz Labs AI Gigapixel to resize my HD renders to 4K and I really like the time savings (1 hour HD instead of 4 - 5 4K renders.)  Can you render your animation images at a lower size and use AI Gigapixel to up-size to your original target size?  If so, it would be interesting to see how well that works -- time savings/quality.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Kadri

I used that kind of approach to a certain extend in the past. If i wanted to render to 4k i would use it in this project maybe.
But from half HD to HD i don't want to do it. There is that certain warp-sharpening feel i don't want (this time at least).
I am rendering direct in HD (maybe only the clouds in half HD) but unfortunately not with high detail (0.5) and AA (3).
But there is a nature of this project that can get away with this i think.
I don't want to say it for now but it isn't so hard to guess probably.

Kadri

Another way might be to try Project Dogwaffle Howler's motion prediction morphing.
I know that it can work on clouds mostly. Here i am not sure. I will try it in 1-2 days.

Dune

Just a short hijack; is Topaz Labs AI Gigapixel worth its money? The websites slider gives an example, that looks very good, but is it real, or faked just to sell? Can anyone share any samples?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2019, 02:32:35 AM
Just a short hijack; is Topaz Labs AI Gigapixel worth its money? The websites slider gives an example, that looks very good, but is it real, or faked just to sell? Can anyone share any samples?

I always used to go to a pal's house and  use a PS plugin called BlowUp by Alien Skin and it did a great job. I blew up a snap shot  size good image to a life size banner for a pal who needed it for a music exposition in Toronto and it was stunningly good. He said it was inexpensive.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks Bobby. It's also $99. Might do one of these for the huge renders... if it really works this good, it'll save half rendertime.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2019, 11:57:55 AM
Thanks Bobby. It's also $99. Might do one of these for the huge renders... if it really works this good, it'll save half rendertime.

My thinking eggs ackley with the huge stuff you sometimes get contracted to do.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

jaf

Quote from: Dune on January 05, 2019, 02:32:35 AM
I'll do up a test -- it will take some time since I have to render a tgd straight to 4K then to HD and then use Gigpixel to upsize the HD one.  Then crop the same area of each for a visual compare.

Also, I think they do have a 30 day trial.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

jaf

Here's the two images -- the first is the 4K render saved as a 16 bit tif no compression and the second a HD render also saved as 16 bit tif no compress and then re-sized to 4K.  A.I Gigapixel has two filters -- noise & blur moderate or strong, but these were not used.  The re-size file hase the "topax" tag in the file name.  Finally, I cropped both in the latest Affinity Photo and exported to jpg highest quality (to save space on the website.)

My old eyes don't see much difference -- I see the biggest difference in the yellow flowers. Keep in mind that scenes with up close or hard surfaces may show more differences (it's something I need to test.)  I have a strong GPU and it does the re-size pretty fast -- about 5 seconds.  You can use your CPU if you want.

The TG render of the HD scene (the one that got re-sized to 4K) took 45m 37s.  The 4K TG render used for comparison to 3h 31m 51s to that's a savings of 2h 46m 14s.  If I did the math right, you could render that HD scene 32 times in 24 hours, but only 6.9 times at 4K.

Dune

Thanks a lot for taking the trouble, jaf! I'm going to compare your tests in PS. It's a huge render difference, so very interesting indeed. I'll download the trial also.

Kadri

Hmm...Jaf you made me really to consider this option. There is actually quite a difference in the crops.
But it looks more like a little sharpened or an image that was rendered with a little less AA.
It doesn't look like bad resizing to my eyes at least.
I will try the demo of Topaz and see how half HD to HD works. Thanks for the example :)