Above the clouds - about 15,000ft

Started by hlam, January 03, 2019, 10:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hlam

Hello all,
I'm a very new user of Terragen but have been following its progress for the last few years  :D.  I'd like share an image created with a Terragen back plate and also HDRI rendered in Terragen.  Final render done in 3ds max with Vray.  Comp'd in Photoshop.
Any constructive crit much welcome  :)
thank you.

N-drju

Wonderful cloudscape Henry. Creating clouds is my favorite part of a job and I definitely dig those. Welcome to our community!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

Welcome indeed. And with such wonderful render. Good to have you onboard. No crits from me, great job!

cyphyr

Beautiful layered cloud scape, great first post :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

Great image!!! And welcome from me as well!

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Agree w/previous comments completely and add, lovely jet model...yours?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Welcome! Great clouds. The whole render is a well done.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

Welcome here :)
In fact a wonderful render. I especially like the clouds! Great job!

Oshyan

Just a bit too much noise in one of the cloud layers in my opinion, but otherwise I don't think anyone would say it is not a photograph unless you told them. In other words, great work! :)

- Oshyan

hlam

Quote from: Oshyan on January 04, 2019, 08:10:00 PM
Just a bit too much noise in one of the cloud layers in my opinion, but otherwise I don't think anyone would say it is not a photograph unless you told them. In other words, great work! :)

- Oshyan

What a wonderfully supportive group here! thank you for all warm welcomes!.

Oshyan, totally agree on the noise on the clouds! Will have to look at ways to smooth that out. 
I don't suppose a form of distributed rendering is around the corner? ;)  From last check, I think this image took around 13 hours.  This is obviously without any optimisation! Much to learn here.

sboerner

Can't add anything – agree on all counts. Beautiful work and welcome!

Oshyan

We do not have current plans to implement a distributed rendering approach. You can manually create multiple slightly overlapping crop zones for really heavy renders, or your render manager may support such functions more automatically. You can also use render farms like PixelPlow which have systems that can distribute higher resolution renders across multiple systems and stitch the end results.

Without knowing your hardware (and settings) it's hard to know if 13h is longer than normal for this render, but it does sound a bit long to me. We are always happy to take a look at projects for possible optimization of render settings, and to make recommendations for that. You can send files privately for this to support AT planetside.co.uk if desired.

- Oshyan

hlam

13 hours was for a 6000 X 4000. dual Hexcore 3.06ghz each.  settings AA 4, micro detail at .6 Everything else on default i think.