How to achieve this in Terragen? anyone out there experienced in clouds?

Started by lookdev, November 28, 2018, 06:56:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lookdev

I make clouds in Vue, and I want to be able to reproduce at the same skill level in Terragen, and explore the great vdb export feature of terragen.
Any one out there experienced in clouds?
Here is what I can do in a few minutes in e-on Vue (it took a lot of practice to get there), and I would like to be able to do it in Terragen in a few minutes as well.

If you are experienced in Clouds in Terragen can you produce a similar result, so I can understand what parameters drive the look. Theoretical answers won't be helpful. It will help to post a render of similar quality to refer to.

DannyG

There are many resources here as well as on NWDA to get you up and running with Clouds and much more
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

lookdev

Danny thank you very much. I mentioned please no theoretical answers. I'd love to see your renders.
I'm not looking to get up and running, I have an advanced skill in Clouds in Vue and know enough about the Cirrus, Cumulus, Nimbus and Stratus clouds (in real life) as well as their secondary and tertiary forms. Feel free to use purely technical jargon if you want.

I'm looking for advanced users in Terragen to bring their best clouds forward, and let's discuss the 2 or 3 parameters that drive their look.
It's a challenge to the software Terragen (because I like it and want to use it) and a challenge to the users who work on clouds.

So, Renders?

WAS

You'll likely not get many people posting their best clouds, if anyone, and there's likely a lot more than three parameters governing them. Sometimes dozens of shaders and dozens of settings.

The clouds you showed are not representative of real cloud formations that I know of. They seem like basic  unrealistic Vue clouds.

In any case, here is something at least somewhat similar using cloud plumes above the main overcast.

eapilot

I've tried to get better at clouds in Terragen for the past year and I'm still confounded.  I do get some good results but often I make one change and it all goes awry.  I've dissected mayn from the clouds and purchased a couple from Luc Bianco to look at his,

The best results that I have seen and that proved the most control  are keeping it simple with one or two cloud density fractals.  I used the cloud later (v3) instead of the easy cloud for better control and performance.  I use a lot od simple masks piped into the final density modulator to isolate shapes and I used the transform input nodes to move clouds around.  I'm also using Terragen for 360 skydomes or really wide shots which requires me to have a setup that looks good from all areas, not just one cropped shot.

WASasquatch, I'm about to dissect your clouds to see how you made those!

N-drju

Maybe this Christmas I will finally have time to complete my cloud tutorial. ::) Then you'll all be invited.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

DannyG

Quote from: lookdev on December 04, 2018, 02:08:29 PM
Danny thank you very much. I mentioned please no theoretical answers. I'd love to see your renders.
I'm not looking to get up and running, I have an advanced skill in Clouds in Vue and know enough about the Cirrus, Cumulus, Nimbus and Stratus clouds (in real life) as well as their secondary and tertiary forms. Feel free to use purely technical jargon if you want.

I'm looking for advanced users in Terragen to bring their best clouds forward, and let's discuss the 2 or 3 parameters that drive their look.
It's a challenge to the software Terragen (because I like it and want to use it) and a challenge to the users who work on clouds.

So, Renders?

I pointed you in the right direction, however I see you came here to ask for someone to hold your hand step by step through the development of their network and give you all the answers. I read lots of bragging and complaining in all of your threads here. I tell you what, use your Advanced knowledge and apply it.
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

lookdev

Quote from: Danny on December 22, 2018, 08:59:28 AM
I pointed you in the right direction, however I see you came here to ask for someone to hold your hand step by step through the development of their network and give you all the answers. I read lots of bragging and complaining in all of your threads here. I tell you what, use your Advanced knowledge and apply it.

the right direction is buy ready made stuff from your website? read the question: renders and the few parameters that drive the look. No one talked about getting ready made stuff.
Have you ever come across "Houdini for Maya users", "flame for Nuke artists", "Natron for After Effects users"...? Believe it or not, there are people with advanced skills in other software, they just need the bridge. It would be a waste of time to explain 3D asset pipeline in Houdini for a Maya user, he already knows it. He just needs the node workflow and VEX, that's it.
It was my way of saving your time in case you had in mind to mention basics, that are not needed. I helped focus the attention on 2 or 3 parameters. Your generic answer implying "go buy stuff from my website" seemed more like spam, yet I said "thank you very much".

I see you feel offended that there are other people with advanced skills in other softwares?
If you prefer not to help with the exact question asked, would it be sensible to refrain from responses that do not do you any good?
disappointing, is this what Terragen community stands for?

N-drju

It's not what we stand for or not but how you ask the people around here for "help". After re-reading this topic I have literally went through all your posts to see if there is any credibility to what Danny accuses you of and sadly... there is.

A challenge... Seriously? Why the heck am I obliged to share anything with you? :-\ Privately, I can tell you that even a dimwit like me can create beautiful, fluffy clouds with well-defined edges. And (here's a shocker) there are no two or three parameters that drive clouds look. In order to make good clouds you need to take care of multiple options...

And I absolutely lost it when you said TG will die young without VFX integration. Yes. Being used in blockbusters like "Zootopia", "Rogue One", "Martian" or "Day After Tomorrow" I am sure this software has no future...
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

There's a certain degree of arrogance in your way of expressing yourself, and I, for one, am not very fond of arrogant people. Let alone give them any advice. And to quote yourself "(it took a lot of practice to get there)"; TG also takes a lot of practice to get where you want to be. Then you may be able to put stuff together in minutes.

DannyG

I don't have the time to baby sit this thread or hold your hand for that matter, I will say your lame attempt to spin my reply into a solicitation to purchase anything from NWDA is not reflective of your advanced knowledge, Re-read that sport.  Your BS doesn't pass the smell test bud

Have a great New Year
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com

Matt

This forum is usually pretty helpful and positive, so I'm disappointed to see threads turn sour like this. If you're going to provoke each other, take it outside.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.