Open Project: Voronoi

Started by Volker Harun, October 24, 2007, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

Quote from: Oshyan on October 31, 2007, 06:05:32 PM
The default atmosphere gives a fairly good "Earth-like" result at normal scales. Obviously if you go outside of those norms or what more "extreme" results you have to tweak. I think people actually often want an *exaggerated* impression of distance and scale. TG2's atmosphere is very powerful and flexible, it's just a matter of tuning for what you want.

- Oshyan

I'll have to agree with Oshyan on that one. I think it may also be because people don't often place the camera at a realistic eye level because they want to see a lot of the terrain... but expect the same clarity in the foreground as if the camera was positioned at eye level.   

efflux

Thanks for the replies here. For some reason I do not always get notification about replies on threads so I missed these.

I agree that TG2's default atmosphere gives generally natural results, at least definitely like the kind of atmosphere we get in the UK - thick and misty. I don't know about other places though. I have experimented a lot with this and found that the open space kind of feeling you see in say Mojo renders is because there is less atmosphere or haze going on at least certainly at higher altitude. If you want this it's quite easy to just reduce the haze exponential hugely and increase it's density. This opens up the space immensely and the low haze gives a good sense of distance but you also need to set higher samples so as not to get grain if you're creating thick low level haze, like you often see in Mojo.

I will wait to see how things go with the shadows.

Thanks.

Mr_Lamppost

I agree that the default atmosphere is a good approximation; at least on some days.  I prefer to start with a clearer version (As posted), and then thicken things up again as required.

If I am looking for a natural look to a scene I try to place the camera 1.7m above the ground to give a natural eye line.  1.7m is natural for me, I am quite tall  ;)
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

efflux

Yes, you're right. That's another issue. You need to bear in mind normal scales i.e. camera placement otherwise everything else is meaningless. You have to be careful with that when developing anything. A rock that is supposed to look 1m should be 1m. It's easy to get all these things out of scale.