Open Project: Voronoi

Started by Volker Harun, October 24, 2007, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Volker Harun

Attached is a view of my workspace with the previews.

Most interesting is the preview of the Dot-Product (the black and white image on the left side).
This is what I love ,-)

Volker Harun

Here we go:
For the following picture I used the Dot Product of the 3D-A-Vector with itself (which produces a scalar). The Scale is ~300.
One displacement goes 200 positve, a transformed displacement goes 200 negative.

Again just a very rough and dirty quick render, that line in front is a luminous surface in a shadow (but the sky is nice) ,-)

Volker

Volker Harun

Something that I noticed before, the Transform Shader does not seem to have any effect ... can anybody confirm this?

Volker Harun

Multiplying the DotProduct with Pi and running a Cosine creates Blobs  8) ;D

rcallicotte

I haven't had time to build alongside of you, so I can't right now.  I can always try a Transform Shader in what I'm working on if it helps.

Quote from: Volker Harun on October 25, 2007, 11:22:19 AM
Something that I noticed before, the Transform Shader does not seem to have any effect ... can anybody confirm this?
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Oshyan

The Transform Shader does work, it just may not work in the way you need it to, or for what you're doing. ;)

- Oshyan

old_blaggard

I have failed at getting the transform shader to work with functions, but I assumed that it was just me.  This is some pretty awesome stuff, you guys!  I'm wishing I wasn't so busy with classes so that I could help contribute ;).
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

Oshyan ... so you think that a 'Get Position in Texture' would be wiser?  :-\ :) ;)

Oshyan

I'm honestly not sure if the Transform Shader works with Functions, so that may be the key.

- Oshyan

Volker Harun

Oshyan, oh it does and did ... The Position in Texture was the key ;-)

Oshyan

Ah yes - it needs to be provided the right info to function, yes?

- Oshyan

old_blaggard

Ah, good to know!  Thanks for finding that.
http://www.terragen.org - A great Terragen resource with models, contests, galleries, and forums.

Volker Harun

I think a get position would work when a displacement is made befor the function. Just a guess as it is the first time that I used the Position in Texture node.
Thanks for pushing me this way - even if it was not on purpose.

efflux

OK, I'm back.

I never tried the dot product in this set up. I will do so but what I want is an output from dot product providing a usable value of angle between light source and surface. I could not get that working.

These ray traced shadow problems are bad. I've seen a lot of renders ruined with those. For example, I've even seen it a Luc Bianco image that was otherwise a great image. I will be testing that problem out further.

I use multiply vector in a lot of these function cases where I need to transform.

Volker Harun

You mentioned this Dot-problem earlier ... this might be the next goal.
Here it works nice, it kills the steps and minimizes those shadows.

The multiply vector is of course something I ignored ,-)