Open Project: Voronoi

Started by Volker Harun, October 24, 2007, 06:03:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

dhavalmistry, these ones are much better. You see the rock forms without so much surface obscuring them. You should try sending the output from the voronoi to X,Y and Z with to scalar nodes. You build it back with a build vector at the end but it means you can process X,Y,Z differently. I sent X to sin scalar then power scalar and Z to cos scalar and square root for this next image. Just throw in functions and see what happens. This image would not render with shadows. I had to abandon that. It's a big problem shadows in TG2 are useless with small surface displacements. This totally diminishes the feasible use of displacements entirely.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3640/voronoi160oc1.jpg

Volker Harun

Attached is last night's render, I am not yet satisfied with. More to come next week

efflux

The towers look great. Surfaces are great as well. I'm not sure about the atmosphere though but like I've already said I think some serious tweaking is needed for TG's atmosphere - well away from the defaults. You'll see my results soon in a new planet. I'd also watch you don't get too surreal but technically it is a great angle to learn about TG's limits. I'm actually coming back from that a bit now. You'll see what I mean. Fairly surreal in terms of rock forms etc but texturally and atmospherically real looking. I think this works well, convincing the viewer that it's real. I've taken close ups from this planet's rocks and you'd swear they were photos even although the rocks are absurd shapes.

Also. I don't get this shadows thing. It's going to take some time to fine tune that. My planet now has much fewer problems than those rocks before but still has the same rough texture.

See you.

Volker Harun

AyeAye - changed the atmosphere (which was the most tweaked atmo I ever had) and went for PoV and surfaces ...:
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1549919&member

dhavalmistry

for some reason..it reminds me of terminator....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

rcallicotte

It's a boneyard for prehistoric fossils.   ;D

Good job, Volker.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Volker Harun on October 25, 2007, 10:36:11 AM
Attached is a view of my workspace with the previews.

Most interesting is the preview of the Dot-Product (the black and white image on the left side).
This is what I love ,-)

what exactly does "power scaler" do here??....I am having little hard time to understand
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

The Power Scalar gives the power of a number by the scalar.
If the scalar is 2: 0.1²  0.2² ...
If the scalar is 3: 0.1³  0.2³ ...

The result is that values near zero become very small and values near 1 get only a bit smaller.
This widens the black area and makes it a bit smooth.

efflux

Great job Volker. That's what I was kind of thinking of. If the atmosphere gets to wild it doesn't looks so good. This version is really cool. Much better. Your surfaces are fantastic.

j meyer

I like them both,but the first one is the better as far as i am concerned.
That goes for the terrain and the atmosphere,which had a better mood
in my opinion.

efflux

The second one has more of a feeling of space and distance in my opinion. I'm guessing that it has a lower exponential for the haze. I've been experimenting with this. The default haze in TG2 makes you whole atmosphere very thick and hazy but by dramatically reducing it's exponential height you can get a clearer atmosphere and see more of your scene and use the haze to actually get a very low mist effect instead of having to resort to 3D clouds. Some of the Mojo users were saying that TG2 renders don't have a feeling of space and grand scale. One reason is simply getting used to creating scenes on a large planetary scale, the other is tweaking the haze to open up the atmosphere. There are some other reasons but these are all not so relevant.

Mr_Lamppost

This gripe about the haze in the TG default atmosphere has been going on since virtually day one.

There are loads of ways to tweak it but here's a clip (Single node) ;D  for the atmo. I use as default. 
Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Volker Harun

Concerning the very first post. I made a logical mistake (or to put it in other words: I can't be lucky every day  ;))

The very first powerfractal that is multiplying the Get Position has of course a larger effect on large values ... The PF should be multiplied with a vector. This result is to be added to the Get position  :D

Now it works independent from position  :)

(P.S.: And thanks Dude for showing me the way!)

Volker

Matt

Quote from: efflux on October 26, 2007, 07:34:45 AM
Lets hope because even if we just had ray traced shadows coming from the terrain and ignoring detailed surface displacement shadowing it would actually be better.

It's not quite as simple as that. If the additional displacements cause the surface to go below the "terrain", they would be plunged into shadow where they shouldn't be. I really think you would like that even less ;-) This could probably be avoided by calculating the amount of shadow reaching a point which is different from the actual displaced point, but then shadows from other objects would be wrong. The only way to do this properly is to account for all displacement. The new changes I am working on should provide 100% matching between what is visible and what casts shadows. I can't give you an ETA for that yet.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

The default atmosphere gives a fairly good "Earth-like" result at normal scales. Obviously if you go outside of those norms or want more "extreme" results you have to tweak. I think people actually often want an *exaggerated* impression of distance and scale. TG2's atmosphere is very powerful and flexible, it's just a matter of tuning for what you want.

- Oshyan