Redsky & Reflection on snow

Started by scr4tchy, January 14, 2019, 11:01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scr4tchy

Howdy,

12 years ago I used Terragen. I am giving it another play now by composing a night scene in the moutains.

- I added the moon/nightsky by WASasquatch I found on the forum, with the sun, under the horizon, lighting it up
- I added a spotlight towards the earth to simulate some light coming from the moon

The problem is that, the snow looks yellowish. I keep trying to adjust the atmosphere parameters, without success, as when I finally remove the yellowness, the nightsky is no longer blue. I am trying to learn here. What would you do to solve that? I haven't been tweaking the nightsky's internal network in combination with the atmosphere tweaks though.

I joined a render of the current scene, as well as a render of what kind of feel I am trying to reproduce in terms of snow.

Thanks you guys!

Dune

Welcome to the forum. I've had a go at your file and changed some stuff. See how this goes...

bobbystahr

Welcome back to Terragen and as Dune spoke up I figure that's the best help you can get here...happy Terragening
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

scr4tchy

Wooo!
Thank you sooo much for the help & the warm welcome, I really appreciate it~
I spent a good time comparing every single parameter between yours & mine, seems that the combination is a genius move.
Also thanks for the stone examples!

Dune

Thanks for your thanks, much appreciated.

bobbystahr

my ADD's full steam ahead...
I couldn't resist seeing what Dune got from the file so I had a little play with it
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

scr4tchy

Here is the render I got after a little tweaking to Dune's version (restoring the moon basically). Haven't been around to touch much else yet.

I need to improve the textures, add some ice or old snow maybe, add more glow stones, make the mountain shapes more interesting, add some wind marks on the snow, make the luminosity of the stars higher, improve quality of the moon, ...

Dune

The tiny shiners probably need a distance shader to mask them out of the distance, as shiners often don't shine that far, IMO. Depends on the scale and what you want, of course. I didn't do that yet, just hook it to the fake stone mask input.

Nice renders, guys.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 17, 2019, 04:29:55 AM
The tiny shiners probably need a distance shader to mask them out of the distance, as shiners often don't shine that far, IMO. Depends on the scale and what you want, of course. I didn't do that yet, just hook it to the fake stone mask input.

Nice renders, guys.

Hey I had fun so thank you both for the opportunity.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

WAS

Curiously, have you tried the Moonlight version I released that uses a glowing moon?

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 17, 2019, 02:27:43 PM
Curiously, have you tried the Moonlight version I released that uses a glowing moon?

That's the one in my version Jordan
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

scr4tchy

Quote from: WASasquatch on January 17, 2019, 02:27:43 PM

I have not - when I opened your glowing version initially, the moon did not look as nice as your other version.
Using your non-glowing version, but adding a spotlight half-way towards the planet made it so the moon still looked really legit~
But that's just my noobie experience.

Quote from: Dune on January 17, 2019, 04:29:55 AM

Nice renders, guys.

Great call, I was wondering about that too! Thankss