Monitor 32 inch

Started by Dune, January 15, 2019, 05:44:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Does any of you have experience working on a 32 inch screen? I have a Eizo S2431W screen, which is excellent, but for larger renders I'd prefer a bigger size. So, thinking of 32 inch, I'm trying to find out what's important and whether it works fine. I read it needs a good graphics card to start with (GTX660 or higher). Any ideas are welcome....

Kadri

Do you mean 32 inch or 4K (on a 32 inch monitor) Ulco?

Dune

archonforest

That is a nice one for sure. Otherwise I do not understand your question here. What do you mean if its work fine?
Eizo is a good company and in general it will work great for sure. My workstation is hooked to a full HD 37 inch TV and it works good. The picture quality is good but not as good as a real computer monitor.

As for video card...yes you need a stronger card. It should be a "4K ready" one. Meaning it should say something on the box of the card.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

Thanks. I've read that you may get into 'trouble' with resolution; like letters getting to small. You'd have to compensate that again software-wise. And my monitor is hooked on an Aten 22csu KVM usb switch, so I can use two machines on the one screen. That needs to work also.
Good that you mention 4K ready, I have to check what I have. And my 32-bit online machine (both win 7 and XP on 2 partitions) also has to work on that combination  :P

archonforest

Here is a budget 4K capable non-gaming card: Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 Low Profile 2G GDDR5.

This is a budget card and able to output 4K
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

zaxxon

Hey Ulco, I have two 'larger' monitors:

https://www.lg.com/us/business/commercial-display/it-products/desktop-monitors/lg-31MU97Z-B
https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-43UD79-B-4k-uhd-led-monitor

I also am a win 7 user and found the scaling of text on the 31" (actually 31.5 diagonal) not to be an issue. On the 43" display TG scales ok but sometimes 'glitches' with slightly overlapped text. I suspect those brave enough to render on win 10 wouldn't have the scaling issues. Some applications like Houdini have a preference setting for larger res monitors. I use the TESmart KVM 4 port switcher as not all switchers can handle 4k and it's a great bargain at around $120 US.

https://www.amazon.com/TESmart-HDMI-Ultra-Switch-3840x2160/dp/B078KG5N2Q

Lots of 'Brand' names are manufactured by the same factories and the quality control  is reportedly uneven. LG seems like an industry innovator and I'm very impressed with their products, we also have a LG 65" OLED monitor that is simply stunning.

While 'Big' isn't always 'Better' it certainly is a joy to work with all that screen space and going 'back' would be painful. I recommend Nvidia cards, and the 4GB 1050's are about $150 US these days.

Dune

Thanks for your input, Doug! Very much appreciated. It's always a mixed feeling, spending a lot on hardware. I can do without, but you only live once, and why not work pleasantly. And I get some important potential clients and need to show stuff. A 32 inch presentation will probably pull them over faster than a presentation on a 24 inch  ;)
I'll sleep over this...

jaf

I have two 27" 4K monitors and the text on some applications that don't scale well (Lightwave) is quite small.  However, I have the displays mounted on articulated arms so I can bring them up close to me if needed.

I think a 32" wouldn't be a problem.
(04Dec20) Ryzen 1800x, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD, Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 3200 Mem,  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 Graphics 457.51 (04Dec20), Win 10 Pro x64, Terragen Pro 4.5.43 Frontier, BenchMark 0:10:02

Dune

Oshyan

If you're buying a new monitor, pay some attention to color accuracy and color model representation. 100% sRGB/rec.709 at a minimum. The 31MU97Z-B Doug pointed out looks promising. I am currently looking at 31-32" 4k monitors myself. I have a spreadsheet going if you'd like me to share it with you. :D

- Oshyan

Dune

Thanks Oshyan, I would indeed be interested to see your spreadsheet. For that kind of money it's good to make a wise decision. The LG is not as expensive as the Eizo I'm looking at. But it has its drawbacks too. I just read a Dutch review:
The LG 31MU97Z-B is a 31 inch monitor with 4096x2160 resolution. The monitor uses an IPS panel, which usually means good color rendering and viewing angles. LG promises a maximum brightness of 320 cd / m², a contrast of 1000: 1 and a response time of 5 ms. The screen offers DisplayPort and HDMI as digital connections. The screen is suitable for modern Apple computers and other PCs with Thunderbolt connection. Thanks to the integrated USB hub you can connect peripherals such as mouse and keyboard via the monitor. Because the screen is height-adjustable, the LG 31MU97Z-B is suitable for ergonomic workstations. If desired you can use the monitor rotated in so-called portrait mode. According to our test results, the maximum brightness is 300.9 cd / m², making the screen bright enough for very bright rooms. At maximum brightness the black level is 0.35 cd / m², which results in an excellent contrast of 859.7: 1. The standard color temperature of the screen is 5491 Kelvin, which ensures a slight yellow cast. The average color deviation of 3.76 on the basis of the DeltaE 2000 standard means that the colors show a small, barely visible deviation. This makes it suitable for simple photo editing. Energy use at a brightness of 150 cd / m² is 57.2 W.
I notice it uses quite a lot of energy in comparison to the Eizo (30W).

Kadri

It depends on your work space and is subjective but i would go closer to 40 inch for a 4k monitor (I use a 32 inch HD monitor).

Dune

My work space is actually not very big (3x5m), so I think a 32 will do for me. You'd have to sit further away too, I guess, if the screen is so large. Right now I sit at 80cm (32") from my 24" screen.
I also found , while reading the reviews about the switch, that I can't maintain my Aten switch; that also has to be able to deal with 4K, apparently.