Terragen in media

Started by rolland1013, January 18, 2019, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolland1013

Hey I wanted to give a shout out for the series "This is Us".  We do the VFX work on the show and I wanted to mention that we've been using Terragen for several big scenes over the course of this seasons episodes.  If you watch the show, it's the scenes that take place in Vietnam.  The scenes were shot at a lake in the San Fernando Valley.  Except for the actual lake, immediate foreground and actors, we replaced the rest of the background with a more jungle like environment created with Terragen.  I'll post some before and after screen shots next week.

Niel

bobbystahr

Very cool...I look forward to seeing those.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Definitely looking forward to seeing images of this!

- Oshyan

rolland1013

Here's a before and after of one of the shots we did earlier this season.

rolland1013

Here's another..

Oshyan

Nice! The blend of the foreground veg with background in the 2nd shot is particularly good.

- Oshyan

Dune

bobbystahr

Agree, thanks for sharing these..most encouraging...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

cyphyr

Great work!
I guess there is quite a bit of grading and roto involved as well?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

archonforest

Thanks for the pictures. Very cool!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

DocCharly65

Thanks for sharing. Impressive work!

rolland1013

Thanks guys, the client was happy with the work. 

To respond to Cyphyr's question, yes there was quite a bit of roto.  Since the production didn't want to use green/blue screen, we had to pretty much roto everything.  Additionally on the shots with the helicopter we had to track and add 3D rotor blades since roto-ing the heavily motion blurred blades was impossible. 

All the plants and trees were SpeedTree assets.

We used Maya to render animated foreground trees/plants assets in shots that required it.

In all we've done over 250 shots requiring Terragen generated backgrounds over 5 episodes.

Dune

Thanks for your explanation. But what is roto?

cyphyr

Roto (rotoscoping) is an animated mask that crops out (usually foreground) elements so they can be treated as separate layers and composited over other rendered  or filmed layers. Originally, animators projected photographed live-action film images onto a glass panel and traced over the image to create a realistic animation.

Great to see Terragen used so comprehensively.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)