Infinity Pool

Started by cyphyr, January 24, 2019, 05:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

First proper render of the year !
I'm annoyed about the overexposed highlight on the ferns on the upper left and I have tried painting it out without success ... meh :/
21 hour render so I won't be revisiting unless I get properly inspired.
There is also a "line" along the edge of the pool but I think this is a correct reflective feature although I am not entirely happy with it.

The cliffs are free from MegaScan. Trees from Xfrog.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

archonforest

Very nice! I got no problem with the fern.
But not understand if this is a waterfall or it is really a pool? Interesting...
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

I like the concept very much. Great lighting and the subtle mistveils are really nice too. All in all a great render!

The only thing I don't like is the squarish rock on the left. I think if you'd do this with TG internal displacements and textures you can get something even nicer.

mhaze

cyphyr

Quote from: archonforest on January 24, 2019, 05:58:20 AM
... But not understand if this is a waterfall or it is really a pool? Interesting...
Maybe it is both ...

Quote from: Dune on January 24, 2019, 07:10:19 AM
... The only thing I don't like is the squarish rock on the left. I think if you'd do this with TG internal displacements and textures you can get something even nicer.

The "squarish" rock on the left is a MegaScan scan so is "technically" correct. It is from a different series than the cliff so a differing rock type, maybe it fell in from a higher level ...It is not my favourite rock I do agree. :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

zaxxon

A beautiful concept carried out in a beautiful render.

Lady of the Lake

This is beautiful.  I remember the first infinity pool I was ever in, I was afraid to walk to the edge.  !   :)  Of course the setting for that pool was no where as nice as this one. 

DannyG

Beautiful work as always Richard
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

I have nothing but admiration for this render. Well worth the time spent and I as well find no fault...that rock didn't even bother me.
It's now my desk top for the next 7 days...hope you don't mind...It's just nice to see when the computer wakes up in the morning.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Sorry guys, but I'm just a nitpicker. But my praise is genuine too.

cyphyr

Thanks for the "thumbs up" guys,  and Bobby, you make me blush, hehe!
Also nitpicking is greatly appreciated :)
I am actually wondering if there is a way to convert a model to a vector displacement that would replicate the model exactly.
Then extra TG displacements could be added without breaking the models original integrity (if you see what I mean).
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

Dune

I was just experimenting with ZBrush. There's a way to calculate the difference between 2 of the same objects, where one has extended displacement. Using a morph target. I guess a vdm can be made of that too, but haven't checked it out.

cyphyr

Yes and the was the work that paq and Artice3d were doing with Houdini.
There is definitely potential but it looks pretty complex. Maybe more coffee will help ...
www.richardfraservfx.com
/|\

luvsmuzik

Quote from: Dune on January 25, 2019, 02:39:58 AM
Sorry guys, but I'm just a nitpicker. But my praise is genuine too.

Trying to recall the image series of your (Ulco) surreal statue park with the scanned statues models...Great examples of using internal PFs for texture and displacement, as I remember.

Great render cyphyr!

DocCharly65

A really great, great,  render!

It's a pity with that rock on the left side. Couldn't you do something like a small population of reed (sitting on object)? Hard to adjust but perhaps giving the flat face of the stone a (so far unknown) sense helps. ;)