Details about Power Fractal Shader V3

Started by J.Klamans, October 21, 2007, 04:44:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J.Klamans

Hi,

I need some detailed informations about the Power Fractal Shader.
On tgblog.de.vu we want to make a detailed description of this shader, but some options still need to be specified.
I hope some of you can help us.

My first question is, what's the difference between "along vertical" and "vertical only" in the displacement tab?
I tried to figure out, but could not see a difference.

The second thing is the option "continue spike limit". I see the difference in the piture, but can not figure out what it realy does.

And also, if somebody knows a good description, something about the noise-variation method would be a helpful thing.

I hope someone can help us, we want/need to publish the article about the power fractal soon because of other articles which are based on this. (Warp, redirect...)

Thaks for reply, JK

nikita

I'd like to add that our blog is non-commercial. Its main purpose is to collect news and information about TG2, so people who don't have enough time to read multiple forums, chat online on a daily or those who simply don't speak english basis get a chance to be up to date with new releases, tricks, tutorials etc.. :)
But we don't just aggregate content, we write lot's of stuff ourselves. (and cite our sources when we don't).

In this case the article is based on FrankBs post in the Node Reference. It is still missing some information and I thought we could finally find out, what exactly those mysterious options do :)

Oshyan

Spike Limit has been addressed in a previous post:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2271.msg23826#msg23826

I honestly don't know the proper distinction between Along Vertical and Vertical Only, but this type of detail will be put into the final device reference which will be a combined effort of myself, Matt and Jo. My guess would be that "Along Vertical" orients displacement along the vertical but doesn't *limit* it to the vertical, whereas "Vertical Only" does, like the other "Only" options.

By the way we'll be working on fleshing out and finishing up the Node Reference over the next month or two, leading up to launch. We intend to have it available as a complete base reference for the final product.

- Oshyan

J.Klamans

Thanks Oshyan, i think this helps for now. Maybe we have to publish the article with some missing specifications...
I'll try to figure out a way to test whats the diference between the two vertical options.

A complete Node Reference would be a very good thing!

(By the way, is there any chance to get a students-discount on TG2? I know that there is an "educational discount for qualifying registrants"... does that include Students?)

JK

Volker Harun

Oshyan

Quote from: J.Klamans on October 22, 2007, 04:16:55 AM
(By the way, is there any chance to get a students-discount on TG2? I know that there is an "educational discount for qualifying registrants"... does that include Students?)
Yes, I believe the educational discount would cover students. You'd need to discuss specifics with the registrations department. Email registrations @ planetside.co.uk

- Oshyan