Storm Brewing

Started by RichTwo, January 24, 2019, 10:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

Just trying out a cloud experiment.  Somehow I still get anvil tops without the Flatter Base checked, only reduced base wispiness.
They're all wasted!

Dune

The overall shape of the clouds look pretty good, but the thick banding at the top is a bit strange. Isn't the profile inverted? What happens if you raise cloud height?

RichTwo

Quote from: Dune on January 25, 2019, 02:28:04 AM
The overall shape of the clouds look pretty good, but the thick banding at the top is a bit strange. Isn't the profile inverted? What happens if you raise cloud height?

The original height was set at 1500.  I cranked it up to 5000, and as I said - unchecked Flatter Base and reduced Base Wispiness - oh and the Base Softness.  Other than that, I left everything as-is.  I expected to have puffy cloud tops with a flat base, but got those strange bands instead.  The camera was located outside the cloud radius.  Clip is free for the examination.
They're all wasted!

Dune

Ah, now I see. Taper top and base has been unchecked. That's why it's so abruptly cut of at the top. If you want to keep that, you could mask it by a height mask with a soft edge, and thus manipulate the tops' softness.

DocCharly65

Nice render... but now waiting for a version with taper top and base checked... ;)

RichTwo

The first of these two has the same settings as before, just a different PF seed.  I was going for flat cloud bases and pillowy tops, which is what I got.  The second is the same except has "Taper top and base checked".  Note that the cloud height has been substantially reduced, and bases are less flattened.
They're all wasted!

DocCharly65

In my eyes the last one (light2) is the best so far. I couldn't see a difference to a photography.

Dune

Yes, last one is fine render!

sboerner

QuoteIn my eyes the last one (light2) is the best so far. I couldn't see a difference to a photography.

Agreed. Very nice sky on that last rendering!

QuoteIf you want to keep that, you could mask it by a height mask with a soft edge, and thus manipulate the tops' softness.

Ulco, I searched for "height mask" and came up empty-handed. I don't mean to intrude on Rich's thread, but can you explain what you mean by this or point to an example? Curious about this.

Dune

Well, just anything that takes a height and can be adjusted, such as a distribution or surface shader, or perhaps even get altitude and a smooth step function, where you can input the heights preferred.
If you have a cloud that goes to 5000m high, but with unchecked taper top and base, you can cut it off smoothly at say 4500m with such a distribution shader with fuzzy zone. And thus keep the total underside of that cloud, because tapering is unchecked.

sboerner

Thanks for explaining. So far I've avoided doing much with clouds, so this gives me a few things to try. The cloud library here also has many good examples and ideas. Time to start playing . . . .