vdisped water

Started by Dune, January 25, 2019, 11:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Actually just a test for the boat and its occupants, but, as always, extended a bit. Terrain sucks, foam got in the way, and the boat needs work.... still, why not post.
Trout; courtesy of Doug (Zaxxon). Thanks again, Doug!

RichTwo

OK - I won't look at the terrain...  Interesting displacement of foam(?) underneath the trout (ooh - now I have an idea on what's for dinner!)
They're all wasted!

cyphyr

Yep, I'm having fish tonight! :)
I don't really "get" vector displacement yet ... still more to understand.
Interested to see where you go with this.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

what Richard said...watching to learn.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I pulled some parts out of a high poly plane in Mudbox, added another low poly plane and extracted a vdisp map out of it. Introduced in TG as a repeated pattern, masked by simple shape, and fed into a vector displacement shader.
The drops are a pop of (imported) spheres. Haven't found how to make proper drops in any other software yet.
The foam are white voro ridges, masked by tiny voro billows with a water shader over it to make them transparent again, and some displacement. Not really realistic this close, though.
End of test  ;)

mhaze

I like the first one there's a real sense of drama to it.  I like the experiments in the second, very interesting but they still need more work.

cyphyr

I have a vuage memory that someone posted a link to a whole set of splash models.
I even think I downloaded them but I can't find either download or link now.
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

This is not something I will really pursue. It was just for fun and a little experimentation, as I hardly ever need this for my work.

bobbystahr

Quote from: cyphyr on January 26, 2019, 06:48:31 AM
I have a vuage memory that someone posted a link to a whole set of splash models.
I even think I downloaded them but I can't find either download or link now.

possibly from Renderosity as I recall approving a set when I Moderated FreeStuff there...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

Never say never, Ulco. surely the next customer is already on the way and wants a lake with fish and foam ;)
Anyway very impressive experiments :)

Dune