Blocky rocks

Started by René, January 26, 2019, 12:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

René

A few more variations I did with Hetzens' cobblestone.

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Lady of the Lake

All are great but my favorite is the last.

René

That one is the last iteration. But I haven't finished yet, it's still too repetitive and turbulent.

Dune

I think your previous set was better, but that doesn't take away my appreciation of your rock work. These look a bit too artificial, and repetitive, as you said. Are you working on the planet or are these cubes? I mean, for lateral displacement and a setup/POV like this, cubes would work easier.

René

Quote from: Dune on January 27, 2019, 02:12:41 AM
I think your previous set was better, but that doesn't take away my appreciation of your rock work. These look a bit too artificial, and repetitive, as you said. Are you working on the planet or are these cubes? I mean, for lateral displacement and a setup/POV like this, cubes would work easier.

Yes I deviated too far from what I had in mind. I am working on the planet because cubes can only be used locally and I want a texture that I can apply anywhere. The biggest problem is the repetition because the cobblestone is very repetitive by itself and masking doesn't really work so far; the pattern keeps returning one way or another. But I will get there, give it a year or two. :)

mhaze

Repeating patterns are a problem which is why I have requested a square fractal noise in the past.  You are very good at merging and blending noise I should keep on playing - you'll get there.  Those textures are fabulous btw.

Dune

Thanks, René. You'll get there, no doubt!

René

More tests

zaxxon

Better and better with each new iteration!

DannyG

Impressive as always. I really dig the shader work. Well done
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

René

A few more experiments. The possibilities are endless, and only a few work.

Oshyan

Some of the surface effects you are getting on the vertical faces of the rock are really impressive!

- Oshyan

Dune