Qualcomm vs the Superdome

Started by Harvey Birdman, October 25, 2007, 08:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harvey Birdman

So I suppose I'm just cynical, but isn't there anyone else out there who is just a little uncomfortable with some of the news coverage from so-cal? I keep seeing these stories about people taking shelter at Qualcomm and reporting their experience to be quite tolereable -clean, well managed, safe. The media consistently portrays this as evidence of improvements to federal emergency response practices since Katrina - 'We've learned so much...'.

I suppose I'm the only one who wonders if the fact that San Diego is largely rich, white and Republican has something to do with that, where New Orleans is poor, black and Democrat.

::)   :)

<edit>
Just to clarify, the implication is meant to be that the government would spend more on those of it's own class.
</edit>

folder

i quite agree with you - we have learned nothing from our karina experience and i should further add this i am speaking as a black jewish republician (althought the last part is becoming increasingly disturbing - living in colorado

david

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: folder on October 25, 2007, 11:25:50 AM
... althought the last part is becoming increasingly disturbing - living in colorado

david

Ah yes, the home of Tom Tancredo... so is that the distant sound of jackboots you hear?

:o   :D

folder

Tom,who i consider a friend is a one topic republician.  we do have some issues with illegal immigration (the act itself) but not all illegal immigrants. the issue is just so intertwined, it hard to embrace all aspects of it without either being labed "racist" or some other discusssion stopping label. .
oh for the good old days of "             "

david

Harvey Birdman

Yeah, maybe I'm being a little unfair to him. I get uncomfortable with rhetoric that seems to simplistically blame a slew of social ills on a specific group, with no real or logical justification. It's not immigration politics that makes me uncomfortable, but rather the low-brow, shallow, rabble-rousing rhetoric that goes with it.

folder

Sorry

been working on a data center /exchange migration job. lately no matter what the political topic, it has degenerated into name calling. If you have an issue with illegal immigration, you are branded a racist, if you are on the other side, you are un american or whatever. It just makes you want to tar and feather the lot.  but yet you must stay involved or they (no matter which side of the spectrum ) will win

david

Harvey Birdman

Hey, guy -

It's true. Intelligent discourse is impossible, the rhetoric is so polarized.

Look at the reaction to this thread. Of course there are a myriad possible explanations (maybe it's just plain boring  :)  ), but isn't it interesting that except for yourself, no-one replied to this thread? You know damn well that it must have evoked a reaction in some who read it, but everyone is terrifed of approaching the topic of racial issues. It permeates much of our discourse and shapes our social reactions and world, but no-one dares to speak of it out loud. Is it just me, or is that just a little #$@%$#%ed up?