using the redirect shader

Started by child@play, October 25, 2007, 09:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

child@play

and getting nice fake stone surfaces ( and caves ;)).

unfortunately i didn't save a cave render, but maybe i'll redo that. just make huge fake stones with pancake above 1.5 and apply heavy displacement via the redirect shader. then it should be easy to find a cave out there

cheers...

edit: found two more pics
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

rcallicotte

Ni-i-i-ce.  I'm always looking for ways to make the rocks look cool and I know you were doing well at this.  Thanks!
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

child@play

;D already thought this is old cheese, thanks for response mate ;)

have fun
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

rcallicotte

It might be old for some, but I'm finding there's a lot more than discovery and I'm perhaps slower than some at that.  A lot of things can be done.  Check my contribution with the Fake Stones.  I learned scads from Volker about texturing and have found it's endless what I can do and learn so far.

child@play

that's true, endless possibilities with this software, loads to learn. and great job with those stones, i'll definetly take a closer look

Mahnmut

That´s how I made my dripstone-cave.

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=2456.0

The stalactites and-mites are vertical only displacements.
But from the outside my cave still looks like a heap of boulders, yours are better there!
Best regards,
Jan

child@play

cool jan, must have missed that thread.

the problem with this trick to fake caves is that you have to decide whether you want detailed surfaces inside the cave or if you want it to look great from outside. what i tried now was taking two fake stone shaders, both with individual redirection, after that another redirect shader with bigger displacement. still good surface inside, from the outside, well, still too much like fake stones i think, but you have to be careful about the last redirect shaders displacement, or your cave will be gone.

only low quality renders, sorry about that, but i was doing something else when i looked up this thread again, and i promised a cave  :) so here it is, still very basic

rcallicotte

child@play, how did you figure out how to do this TGD?  I'm looking at your terrain and wondering how you calculated your XYZ coordinates for your first Redirect Shader and I have no idea how you came to these conclusions.  Would you be willing to explain at least the first node?

child@play

well, i started putting the two fake stone shaders in place, then i was looking for a spot that almost formed an arch anyways. everything else was a bit of experimenting, getting the scales right etc. i experimented a lot with the redirect shader before, so it was easy to get what i wanted. no calculations, pure luck, as always ;)

pancake effect of the fake stones is the thing you want to follow with your displacement (to say it like yoda  ;D)

cheers...

Volker Harun

For fake caves, you can take two or more large spheres, which have the same surface and of course the same displacement-fractals (take 100m radius spheres and a 50m dislacement for a start).

child@play

:o outstanding volker, have to try that.

Volker Harun

The benefit of using spheres is that you can easily move the camera into the cave ;D