Foam, or Tribute to Arnold Böcklin

Started by Dune, February 02, 2019, 02:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Started out as a test to get foam warping around an island, but adding stuff resulted in this. Arnold Böcklin is a fantastic painter, big inspiration when I still painted too.

The foam needs work, apparently, as the angularity of the original stones warp the foam in a too straight fashion.

mhaze

Atmospheric, very dark and Moody.  An excellent tribute - Isle of the dead?

Dune

Thank you, yes. I did one before, I like the idea somehow.

cyphyr

Excellent :)
Is the foam made with a FSS redirect or a Voronoi noise flavour?
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Dune

This foam was made by a very warped perlin, and further warped by a displacement to scaler function from the island itself, but that was no good. I was trying to get the foam sort of following the outlines of the stones, but the warping by those stones is hard and perpendicular somehow. Doesn't really work. I will try what distort by normal can do, but that needs displacement first. Maybe a mask can be made out of that, have to experiment.
I'm now doing a version with a voronoi blue node base.

DocCharly65

Thats great Ulco! Threatening and beautiful at the same time. Fascinating!

zaxxon

Bocklin's "Isle of the Dead" is one of my favorite paintings as well. I really like using TG as a medium to recreate the dark mystery of the scene. Brilliant technique to portray this, I hope you'll continue to refine the image, seems well worth the time to me. It certainly is an inspiration to the rest of us to attempt a similar 're-creation' with another artist, perhaps Caspar David Friedrich... Hmmm....

j meyer

8) I enjoyed your first one and this one even more.
The trees are very nice.
And I too hope you'll find time to continue this one.

bobbystahr

Good one Ulco, many of my 'experiments' accidentally turn into scenes I develop...bash on with this great start.....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Angular indeed, but I think it could work well for cracked ice on a frozen lake...

- Oshyan

Dune

Changed the lady and the foam, and some other minor things. Still needs work (on the rocks and foam for two).... and I don't know if I should crop or keep the expanse of water on the left.

Yes, Caspar David Friedrich.... who will have a go?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on February 03, 2019, 02:14:13 AM

Yes, Caspar David Friedrich.... who will have a go?

certainly a lotta TG-able images there...If I feel brave maybe later.

https://www.caspardavidfriedrich.org/the-complete-works.html
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

Keep the section on the left, it has great mood and adds context.

Dune