All these worlds...

Started by raymoh, February 03, 2019, 03:07:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Love that Eris shot. Love the atmosphere lighting.

raymoh

Ringworld

A hypothetical primordial Earth-like exoplanet in the far reaches of the universe:
Stromatolite-like formations begin to enrich the atmosphere with oxygen. As a result, iron begins to oxidize and stain the shallow seas.
This world is slightly larger and more massive than Earth, a "super-Earth." It has no moon, but a thin ring of smaller asteroids left over from the formation of the planet. The orbits of these asteroids have meanwhile aligned and stabilized. Nevertheless (geologically seen) impacts occur more often than on Earth. The bigger ones can have effects on the whole planet. The planet is now 3 billion years old, but life has not yet progressed beyond the stage of simple life forms. Larger asteroid impacts from the ring keep preventing life forms from evolving.
The host star is also somewhat larger, more massive, hotter and also brighter than the sun. In another 3 billion years, it will leave the main sequence and evolve into a red giant, gradually destroying most of its planets or at least burning them to ash.
Our hypothetical world will hardly ever develop higher life forms under these circumstances.

Made on a mac with Terragen  4.5.71 and Pixelmator

Thanks to Balletdude for his "Terrain from Math nodes"
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

masonspappy

Very alieny - if that is a word.

Dune

Great! I really like your explanation too, makes it 'real', so to say.

pclavett

All your worlds are just outstanding and the only thing I can do right now is try to get my jaw back in its sockets ! Amazing lighting and atmospherics !

raymoh

Once again Titan, the largest moon of the planet Saturn:
We see a scene which is probably rare (if at all possible?). Titan's strong high-altitude winds have ripped open the usually thick cloud layer and we catch a glimpse of Saturn through the hazy nitrogen/methane atmosphere, which appears about 10 times larger than Earth's moon. Although the sun is shining for the moment, it remains rather dim to our eyes.
We are standing on the shore of a still nameless methane lake (a "lacus"): It is practically windless, the temperature is around -180° C, the atmospheric pressure is 1.5 times as strong as on Earth, with a gravity about equal to that of the moon. The strange stones, boulders and pebbles are not made of silicate rock, but of ice, it is extremely hard frozen water. The ground is partially covered by reddish-brown ,,Tholins", complex organic compounds, raining down from the atmosphere.
Titan is actually also an "icy moon" like other large moons of the outer planets, with the difference that it has a dense atmosphere.
"I consider global warming much less dangerous than global dumbing down"   (Lisa Fitz, German comedian)

masonspappy

looks like a better, sharper version of the final pictures sent back by the Titan probe a few years ago.

raymoh

A landscape shaped by wind, rain and ice on Zavijava IV, my imaginary earth-like planet that could orbit Beta Virginis. We are at the end of a planetary cold stage. Due to the climatic conditions that prevailed during this cold stage, large amounts of iron ore-bearing rock were oxidized and eroded, creating the "Redlands". The resulting landscape is comparable to cold dry valleys on Earth. Despite sometimes many clouds, hardly any precipitation falls. The existing snow remains are already several years old.

Dune

Very nice terrain, it breathes 'alien' but also has some familiarity to our globe. Nice!

raymoh

Another piece of Astro Art:
A view of the exoplanet Teegarden's Star b. With an Earth Similarity Index (ESI) of 0.95 it is one of the theoretically most Earth-like exoplanets up to now, with emphasis on "theoretically". The ESI is a value, which is determined among other things also by model calculations. If the models are not correct, the "Earth similarity" is gone. Thus, it is not yet possible to determine beyond doubt the absence or presence of a "life-supporting" atmosphere.
Here, Teegarden's Star b is "Earth-like" and has developed life. This life could well be twice as old as life on Earth, since the parent star, Teegarden's Star, an ultra-cool small red dwarf, is about 8 billion years old. The vegetation is very dark in color to effectively absorb the star's predominantly infrared radiation and use it for photochemical processes. There are also bioluminescent life forms that have learned to respond to the now rare bursts of UV-radiation from Teegarden's Star and process the excess radiation. The visible light is very faint and distinctly yellow-orange in color. To our eyes, it is only about as bright as in a well-lit living room, even though the sun is in an almost cloudless sky. We also see Teegarden's Star c in the sky, the neighboring world. Now, in the phase of closest approach, it is about half the size of the moon as seen from Earth.

Dune

Very nice, I always like your 'encyclopedia-like' descriptions.

raymoh

The artistic representation of a P-type planetary system around two sun-like binary stars. In a P-type system, the planets do not orbit around one of the two binary stars, but around the common center of gravity of the entire system. Such double-star planetary systems are usually more stable than an S-type system, in which planets orbit around one of the two stars, or each of the two stars has its own planetary system.
Here, a large Jupiter-like gas giant orbits its two parent stars at a great distance. The two small moons visible in the image also orbit around their common center of gravity and both in turn orbit around the gas giant with other moons.

schmeerlap

The nebulae is a nice enhancing feature of your night skies. And the lighting is great too.
I hope I realise I don't exist before I apparently die.

Dune

I agree, a very nice impression!

Stormlord

Looks good so far.
Maybe it is better to give the moons a slightly different color?
This way it looks somehow artificial.

STORMLORD