Old scene with PT

Started by cocateho26, February 14, 2019, 01:18:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cocateho26

I've been meaning to try this one with PT for a while, unfortunately I had reorganized all my object files I have so I kept putting off having to redo the file paths for everything but finally did it!

Took forever and a day with PT but I'm pretty happy with the image. I did a little color, contrast and light sharpening but post work was pretty minor.

Dune

mhaze

Great work. I really must take the plunge and really play with PT.

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on February 14, 2019, 04:33:10 AM
Great work. I really must take the plunge and really play with PT.

I'd like to take the plunge as well but well with attendant expenses this winter I fear it'll be Spring before I see any cash for the upgrade...sigh...A Pensioners Life...
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Oh wow, that's a gorgeous one! I don't recall the original, did you post it here previously? Would love to see the direct comparison.

- Oshyan

cocateho26

Oshyan, I did post it here, probably 2-3 years back. This was the previous iteration. I did change the clouds, they just didn't look right but I prefer the shadow placement in the original.

Bobby - PT is wonderful if your computer can handle it. Right now for me it takes several times as long to render in PT as it does the standard renderer. In this case roughly 8x  :o
I set it to render the first time, came back to it it being done thinking "wow that was quick" the realized I did it on standard again. Whoops.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

Ahh, great to see the comparison. The new clouds are definitely better! To my eye PT doesn't make as big a difference here as some scenes, but with the newer shadow placement I bet the non-PT version would look noticeably less realistic in those shadowed areas of the mountains that have trees.

As far as performance, 8x longer seems a bit much to me. It's probably time we update our render setting recommendations and include some info about PT and the new Robust Sampling option for anti-aliasing. This ought to be a big help for PT render performance. So if it wasn't in use in this case, I'd recommend you try it (it's in the Edit Sampling options for AA). It works best with higher levels of adaptivity, at least 1/64th first samples for instance, but up to 1/1024.

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 15, 2019, 03:56:36 PM
It works best with higher levels of adaptivity, at least 1/64th first samples for instance, but up to 1/1024.

As long as "customise" is turned OFF, a reasonable default setting for adaptivity will be chosen that depends on the AA level.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.