Objects as Cloud Density Masks

Started by scrambled2, February 19, 2019, 08:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrambled2

I have an older Cloud setup that I love. I would like to use a custom obj that I brought into terragen to contain the cloud to this shape as a mask. However, I can not plug the OBJ into the density fractal to make a mask. How would one go about this?

Thanks!

Chris

Dune

That's not possible. The only way you can contain a cloud is by masking with colors in 3D space. So e.g. by simple shape (combinations), (Photoshop) painted masks, or projected masks through image map shaders and cameras.

bobbystahr

Quote from: scrambled2 on February 19, 2019, 08:31:33 PM
I have an older Cloud setup that I love. I would like to use a custom obj that I brought into terragen to contain the cloud to this shape as a mask. However, I can not plug the OBJ into the density fractal to make a mask. How would one go about this?

Thanks!

Chris

Why not just make a .tgc of the cloud?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Clouds can be constrained to a simple spherical volume with the built-in localization feature. The Density Functions (Density and Final Density) can only accept color input to define cloud density. Objects are not supported for defining cloud density or constraints at this time. But we do hope to have some kind of an object conversion, voxelization, etc. in the future that would then be able to help define a cloud's shape.

- Oshyan

René

The only thing I can think of is rendering the object and then extracting a mask from that render which is then somehow plugged into the density shader. Maybe you can render the object against a clear sky with back lighting, that way you already have a kind of mask.