Bare Trees

Started by RichTwo, February 20, 2019, 09:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichTwo

I had my music playlist going on and an ancient Fleetwood Mac tune came up.  Long before the mid 70's pop transformation with Nicks and Buckingham.  Tune was "Bare Trees" from the album of the same name.  The cover artwork inspired this.
No greyscale conversion here.  All is done with flat hues.  Now I will tell you that the fog / haze is a low lying cloud.  To get a somewhat reasonable lighting vs density vs height was like trying to get a classroom of kindergarteners to herd a bunch of cats...  But I think it fairly came out well.
They're all wasted!

Dune

Very subtle. The trees are a bit angular though, which is a pity. You could try doubling the polys in Poseray (weld vertices first) and see if they get softer.

sboerner

Love the lighting and the reference to Fleetwood Mac when they were a semi-obscure British blues band.

QuoteVery subtle. The trees are a bit angular though, which is a pity. You could try doubling the polys in Poseray (weld vertices first) and see if they get softer.

Echo this. You'll nail this with some more natural-looking trees.

Kevin F

Yeah agree with dune on the trees. Love the low cloud though. Have you tried it with "receive shadows from surfaces" checked in the atmosphere quality settings? Although you might not want to wait several hours for the render!

bobbystahr

Agree on the tree and yes the Cloud v2 minus it's Density Fractal makes way better fog than the Haze.
Echo the PoseRay advice.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

RichTwo

Yeah, I thought the same about the sharp bends on the branches.   I have Poseray installed - and had no idea on how to use it.  So I tried running a few of the same OBJs through it using the "subdivide" function not knowing it would do anything and it seemed to smooth out the angularities.  Maybe I'll run the entire folder through and try again.  Thanks to all for the suggestions!
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Rich2 on February 21, 2019, 06:15:00 PM
Yeah, I thought the same about the sharp bends on the branches.   I have Poseray installed - and had no idea on how to use it.  So I tried running a few of the same OBJs through it using the "subdivide" function not knowing it would do anything and it seemed to smooth out the angularities.  Maybe I'll run the entire folder through and try again.  Thanks to all for the suggestions!

the online manual is quite good about letting you in on the tricks as well (the PoseRay manual)
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

mhaze

RichTwo

And then this.  I ran the tree / bush objects through Poseray, and yes they look muck less angular.  I tried to rotate one of the two trees on the left so they weren't so much alike, but for some reason it stayed exactly the same as first populated.  And the line in the foreground is either a reflection or shadow.
They're all wasted!

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

Different and kind of eye-catching

Dune

Oh yes, much better indeed.

DocCharly65