Patch tracing question

Started by archonforest, February 21, 2019, 03:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

I re-rendered a forest scene yesterday with patch tracing but cannot see a huge different between normal render and the patch traced render. Looks like patch tracing is not necessary improving every scene? What scenes worth to patch trace? Is there any rule? Like heavy populated scenes are not that good or open spaces are better to patch trace? Can u guys share some experience?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Dune

It's Path tracing, and I think its best used if you have a lot of foliage. Especially shadowed areas will come out much better, and gloomy areas inside houses and such.

archonforest

Interesting as my forest scene is heavy on foliage. Of course I can see changes with patch tracing but I guess I wanted something more hehe... :P
Anyway thanks Dune for the answer.

Oshyan

It would be helpful to see the two images to compare. In general foliage, especially foliage *in shadow* is going to be improved with PT. But this also depends on the materials being setup well, and in some cases it may not make a big difference either. As Dune mentioned, anything in shadow is likely to show a bigger difference, so foliage in the shadow of a big mountain is a good example.

- Oshyan

archonforest

Quote from: Oshyan on February 22, 2019, 01:44:11 AM
It would be helpful to see the two images to compare. In general foliage, especially foliage *in shadow* is going to be improved with PT. But this also depends on the materials being setup well, and in some cases it may not make a big difference either. As Dune mentioned, anything in shadow is likely to show a bigger difference, so foliage in the shadow of a big mountain is a good example.

- Oshyan
Okay, I will upload both versions soon.

WAS

Correct me if I'm wrong but areas you'll see improvement with Path Tracing is

• Shadows with ambient light (especially when ambient light is creating highlights like Matt's rock example)
  • Layered Shadows (foliage)
  • Bouncing reflections (especially in shadowy areas; again a good example is Matt's rock)

Oshyan

Yep, pretty much WAS.

- Oshyan