Valley - Path traced experiment

Started by mhaze, February 24, 2019, 08:19:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhaze

Strangely a couple of days after creating this sky, I went for a walk in the peak district and saw almost identical clouds!  Here I've used a cirrus layer as a mask for easy clouds.  Heather by Dune as is the path, all else me(Speedtree) and some Daz flowers. Erosion by Danill. Not sure where the geese came from, any one know? The image is path traced, and, Wow are the shadow and veg improved. there also seems to be an improvement in the contrast only the water needs work with PT but I understand that's an improvement to come. I was experimenting with AO and forgot to remove it before the render, so this has two environment nodes, one for AO and one for GI!!! Render times are interesting around 3 hrs at detail.8 and AA 8 for the non PT version and 14 hrs for path tracing.

KlausK

WOWWOWWOW! This really hit my senses. An absolute beauty. Very nice!
The sunlit foreground with the small riverbed is gorgeous.

To me there is a strange notion of the snow capped mountain being just a tad to small and
on the other hand this makes for a very weird sense of perspective.
It`s as if the distance is "wobbling...pulsating" a bit (no - I have not been drinking... :o)

Great image.
CHeers, Klaus

ps: I could do without or a smaller flock of birds I think - but that`s more or less nitpicking
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

bobbystahr

Damn nice scene wit a proviso...all the veg seems to me to be at too large a scale for the terrain geometry. Great trick with the masked easy cloud.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Nice indeed! Although I agree that the mountain in the distance looks a bit small somehow.

Water transparency doesn't work in path tracing yet, but we have an internal build where it does, and it's looking awesome.

I'm not certain, but I would think that when path tracing is enabled the Enviro Light's GI mode shouldn't matter. Hopefully Matt can clarify.

- Oshyan

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Wonderful terain. I like the distant mountains and color contrast, but (sorry) it almost seems to be a miniature environment, which is really nice in its own way of course. I guess it's the lack of distant haze that contributes to that. Mountains that high (afaik) should be quite hazy I think.
And I think the samples of the smooth reflection should be higher a bit (there's a distinct distinction between patches at the right side), or the smoothness not much higher than 0.004 or so.

DocCharly65

A real WOW- overall look!
Watching longer time I see the miniature environment effect a bit too.

Matt

This looks really nice. I agree with others that there is a strong feeling that this is a miniature but I don't know why yet.

To answer the technical question about the Enviro Lights, path tracing on surfaces will ignore the Enviro Light settings, but those nodes will affect the atmosphere and V2 clouds (not V3), which may in turn affect the light reaching the surface.
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

RichTwo

I'll side with Oshyan about the scale of the mountain, but it's very well composed!
They're all wasted!

Jo Kariboo

Very beautiful composition. Same opinion concerning the miniature effect. Personally, I would have opted for conifers.

mhaze

When I have time to render it, I've an updated version that should cover your concerns.

mhaze

Final - I've enlarged the mountain and made a few other small changes.

bobbystahr

Quote from: mhaze on March 01, 2019, 07:44:05 AM
Final - I've enlarged the mountain and made a few other small changes.

Bingo...y got it IMHO...good fix!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze