Alpine

Started by Dune, March 03, 2019, 02:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Experimenting a bit with high alps and snow. They don't look realistic at all, but it's fun. And I may get something nice in the end........ ;)

Agura Nata

"cool" alpine and snow stuff my friend!
"Live and Learn!"

mhaze

Nice but in my experience the snow tends to smooth out and not show the underlying terrain.

Stormlord

Why not making an Ice Cone instead....???

STORMLORD

bobbystahr

I like  the 2nd one, has more of a real look. But the first one is a cool fantasy mountain.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

This is what I'm after, sort of. A mix of  snow in valleys and snow on tops.

Dune

So, more like this.

mhaze

I'd use two snow shaders one for the tops and one for the gullies, cut down the fade and add a little disp offset.

DocCharly65

That are great snow surfaces, Ulco.
What do you think if you try some less cloudy borders of the snow area? Like in Alpine_v2_2-03-19-test2.jpg. I like this one most.

Dune

I have two snow layers, and broke the fuzzy zone into patches (I'll do some harder patches), but didn't use a compute terrain so far, so can't use displacement intersection. Can't do that either as I have some tex from XYZ's around.

A few iterations later I got this. But it's getting a bit complicated too, and still not what I'm after.

bobbystahr

"But it's getting a bit complicated too, and still not what I'm after." considering who's doing it, no doubt heh heh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

masonspappy

So you've got the snow piling up in the upper reaches, and thinning to sparseness as altitude decreases.  Nice...

Dune

Right. Another setup from scratch. I think this works better. Still have to work on the rocky details......

bobbystahr

agree on the snow...looking more real....and believe me I Know Snow this year LOL
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

lat 64

Quote from: Dune on March 04, 2019, 12:06:13 PM
Right. Another setup from scratch. I think this works better. Still have to work on the rocky details......

Ohmigawd! you have the windblown cornice starting to work nicely! I have been studying the snow in mountains for a while and I see it is two things: old snow and new snow. Your old snow is getting really good to my eye. The new snow that looks like pastry sugar is usually very evenly distributed and would not be so patchy and use a small "fuzzy zone" in the  minimum altitude limits of a shader. Patchiness comes from the snow not settling on steep slopes.

Much respect,

Russ
I'm a half century plus ten yrs old. Yikes!