Editing populations

Started by digitalguru, March 12, 2019, 08:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

Is there a trick to editing populations? I can't seem to select them to delete one or two instances.

I read some old posts and turned off bounding boxes for SSS shaders and similar, and changed camera angles, but no joy  :(

Oshyan

There shouldn't be a major trick to it, provided you have the right population selected for editing. The bounding boxes can be a little tough to hit with certain odd object shapes though. It may help to change camera angle, which you can do dynamically while you're in population edit mode.

- Oshyan

digitalguru

QuoteThere shouldn't be a major trick to it, provided you have the right population selected for editing.

I do have multiple populations in the scene, but there was only one enabled. Frustratingly, it did work once, but now seems to have stopped altogether. Changing camera angles doesn't work , or at least I haven't found the right angle yet  :-\

Update -

Recreating the population with the same parameters works, but there's a lot of populations so that won't be fun. Seem to remember having to do this before in TG3

Oshyan

Hmm. A couple other things to try/think about. First, are any of these population instances below the terrain? Second, perhaps try adjusting the clipping plane in the 3D preview with the [ and ] keys.

- Oshyan

digitalguru

Tried the clipping plane already, and all plants are sitting on the terrain.

Quick question though, do you have to re-save the cache after editing / deleting instances? Or are you just modifying the saved cache and the edits are saved with the scene?

Dune

You also need to keep in mind that with box view you don't always see all instances.

bobbystahr

Quote from: digitalguru on March 12, 2019, 10:02:34 PM
Tried the clipping plane already, and all plants are sitting on the terrain.

Quick question though, do you have to re-save the cache after editing / deleting instances? Or are you just modifying the saved cache and the edits are saved with the scene?

Not that I've found unless you re pop as part of the editing. But I often have found that after one editing session I can no longed select anything at all in edit mode even trying the mentioned work arounds.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

digitalguru

QuoteBut I often have found that after one editing session I can no longed select anything at all in edit mode even trying the mentioned workarounds.

I think you're right, as mentioned, recreating the pop fixes the selection - tried it last night and I could edit the population easily - no need to hunt for a workable camera angle or clipping planes etc.

In this case, the population was already set up and established, so it wasn't too much hassle in the end - not tested but maybe saving the scene removes the ability to edit?

I remember doing this in TG3, so if it's a bug it's been around for a while.