New to terragen need some help please

Started by Jahuntl, March 16, 2019, 11:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jahuntl

Ok I figured out how to import a dem file at least

I see it reading stuff but nothing shows on my screen

Oshyan

BIL is a format of DEM. DEM just means "digital elevation map", although there is a .dem format, it is quite old and the term "DEM" just generally refers to any real-world data these days.

Earth Explorer is good for worldwide data, but does not have the best resolution data of the US.

When you load a DEM, Georeferencing is enabled by default. This will place your terrain in its real-world position on the full planet model in Terragen. If you need georeferencing, then you need to locate the terrain, but if you only want to load the terrain and don't need it located in the proper spot on the planet, just disabled georeferencing and you should see it show up at the 0,0,0 coordinate origin where the camera is by default.

- Oshyan

Oshyan

Also GeekAtPlay has a new series of tutorial videos on DEM import which may help you:
Part 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckzkerx5WLA
Part 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws12A3eM50Y (likely more helpful for where you are)

- Oshyan

Jahuntl

The problem stems from the tutorials I been watching are for earlier references of terragen. When I tried to find georeferenceing in 4 i couldnt locate it to turn it off. I think thats whats messing me up. earlier versions vs mine the stuff is in totally different places and some i cant find

luvsmuzik

A way to stay informed is to visit various sections of the forum.

• Image Sharing shows recent works by current users. These images often have links to methodology shared in
  • File Sharing lists recent file shares and older shares as well. Contains links to Sub categories, materials, terrain, water, clouds, etc.

Jahuntl

Thanks I been busy last few days I been trying I got getting the Dems in I got the georeferencing thing down and understood  Now my struggles is getting the image or area from the photo I have seen. For example Castle Mountain I pulled the DEM and loaded it but trying to find the area in the picture same with Gem lake lol its gonna take a bit but i am very slowly learning[attachimg=1]

Jahuntl

That was castle Mountain this is Gem Lake as you can see they have great potentiol for some cool images [attachimg=1]

luvsmuzik

Are these last two Terragen images? Your hobbit house image is certainly doable in Terragen with a little more familiarity to the program. Can't wait! Good luck, et al.  :)

Jahuntl

No those images I found looking for terrain I liked. Then I found and downloaded the DEMs for them. But for all the moving around I do I cant seem to find e the spots created from The dems of the area

bobbystahr

Have you tried re-positioning the camera in the top view with shaders active so you can see where the water is?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Jahuntl

Not yet I'm still learning the camera seems so slow moving it and I adjusted the camera movement for camera but seems still slow lol

bobbystahr

Quote from: Jahuntl on March 21, 2019, 12:49:17 PM
Not yet I'm still learning the camera seems so slow moving it and I adjusted the camera movement for camera but seems still slow lol

Right click where you want the camera and select Copy Coordinates and paste to the camera...in the top view it's easier to rotate around the Y  and the go back to Current render camera and tweak in the camera's transforms dialogue
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Jahuntl

Cool thanks will try tonight when get home

Jahuntl

Ok I figured the right click thing lol but still trying to figure out where the view is I want to be. I downloaded the dem for El Capitan last night because i figured you cant miss a big huge rock lol I was wrong. Still trying to get there. I think this will be my hardest part of the program to navigate where I want it to go. Second is there a way to pop behind and to my camera as I try rotating around to get behind the camera to view from its point and I end up everywhere but behind the camera?

Jahuntl

Ok so I have the coordinates of the mountain

Latitude: 37-44'03'' N
Longitude: 119-38'16'' W

Now how to put those coords into my camera I only see one line under camera then a line for rotation