New to terragen need some help please

Started by Jahuntl, March 16, 2019, 11:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jahuntl

So I am new to terragen and theres gobs of tutorials I found for using it. However I am trying to figure out this DEM thing. Not so much how to use them as there are tutorials, but I am trying to find like jagged mountain tops and a big pointed mountain like on the old MGM logo. How do I go about finding areas that have the type of terrain I am looking for?

Dune

Welcome to the forum. Try this before you go hunting for DEM's.

Jahuntl

TY I am off the next 3 days going to try and get the hang of the prog. my biggest prob is I know the images im looking for in my head but not how to find them lol. one of the guys suggested at work if I see something I like even if it a lousey photo they usually say where it was taken and go look for the area on the map

TY for the File I will take a look at it before bed see what I can make of it

Jahuntl

thanks that is just what I was looking for. Next to add some colors to it, and shadows and other fun stuff. at least it gives me something to play with tyvm

Jahuntl

Well Played around watched a couple tuts to understand the interface and then just pushed some buttons. came out decent but It is too cool I want to get rid of the haze and the blueish color. took 48 mins to render lol I made it 4K pixels for fun and as the render ended it gave me the not responding as it finalized but I got a nice screenshot.

little dark but I can play more

only took me abt 30 mins to whip this out

bobbystahr

Quote from: Jahuntl on March 17, 2019, 02:52:37 AM
Well Played around watched a couple tuts to understand the interface and then just pushed some buttons. came out decent but It is too cool I want to get rid of the haze and the blueish color. took 48 mins to render lol I made it 4K pixels for fun and as the render ended it gave me the not responding as it finalized but I got a nice screenshot.

little dark but I can play more

only took me abt 30 mins to whip this out

you will get the Not Responding message till TG actually finishes the render. It always does that even on short renders.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Lovely first stab at it though...keep on man.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Jahuntl

TY and lol ok I thought was MGM. anyways this program is a little daunting so much to learn to it. I played around trying to get the blue and the haze away and the colors then sucked so I have lot to learn. most the tutorials arent the greatest, i mean they show things but not really explain things if you know what I mean. they just show how to make something but not explain the worklings of the prog all that well.

I still need to figure out how to do the dem file thing  and the resources you get how to install them into library or whatever to use in other stuff but today I can spend time finding better tuts and info. I mishmashed a bunch of terrains together for a compositing monthly for fun contest we were given a little hobbit house but my terrain looked awesome and would love to recreate it in terragen  so I have a nice file of it. so thats where I am going with it next is to learn how to recreate stuff I put together in composites and create terrains based on them.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Jahuntl on March 17, 2019, 10:41:40 AM

I still need to figure out how to do the dem file thing  and the resources you get how to install them into library or whatever to use in other stuff but today I can spend time finding better tuts and info. I mishmashed a bunch of terrains together for a compositing monthly for fun contest we were given a little hobbit house but my terrain looked awesome and would love to recreate it in terragen  so I have a nice file of it. so thats where I am going with it next is to learn how to recreate stuff I put together in composites and create terrains based on them.

Have you searched here under 'using DEM files'...lots of chatter on that subject....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Jahuntl

not yet worked 12 hrs yesterday so no time but im off the next 3 days and looking into all that stuff. I goto the USG world site but  when I choose an area it gives me a whole list of different places and things and still not sure which one to goto and use yet

Oshyan

Because DEMs are real-world terrains, the best way to find something that looks like the terrain you want to download is to *find a real photo of a place first*. If you can find a photo that shows something similar to what you want, and the location is identified, you can find a DEM of it. If it's in the US the data will be highest quality, but there is still OK data worldwide, too. For the easiest DEM download experience use http://terrain.party/
For higher quality and more options, especially for 3 meter and 1 meter DEM data in some areas of the US, use the USGS National Map viewer:
https://viewer.nationalmap.gov/advanced-viewer/

- Oshyan

Jahuntl

the 4 markers I am using for the area is

1:
lat 40 deg 23 min 16 sec N

Long 105 deg 33 Min 26 sec W

2:
lat 40 deg 23 min 16 sec N

Long 105 deg 31 Min 58 sec W

3:
lat 40 deg 24 min 03 sec N