Robot games

Started by Hannes, March 21, 2019, 10:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hannes

Sorry for being a bit absent recently, but I'm quite busy at the moment, and I couldn't find the time of looking through all the great new postings here.

This is a scene for testing materials for path tracing, since reflections for example look very different.
The scene is completely lit by luminous materials: I used two sets of identical objects (the neon tubes at the ceiling and the light above the door): one set is invisible with a strength of 300, and the other set is visible and has a multiplier of 1.
This was necessary, because visible luminous objects with a multiplier of 300 looked very unnatural and completely overexposed.

I had to increase the exposure of the camera to 2.5 to get the right lighting.

There's a lot of objects in this scene. I purchased a very basic corridor scene, which was more or less only the wall parts and the floor ($ 5,-!). I edited mostly everything and added some objects I bought, and a lot of free stuff, plus some stuff I built myself. I had to create each and every material from scratch, but it was fun to do that, since path tracing makes it look much more natural.
But there is still some noise although I used an AA of 20. In this case it looks a bit like movie grain, so somehow I like it, but to get a really noisefree image, I would have to increase the AA even more, and rendertimes would be quite a problem.

The mechanical spider is a free object from Cadnav as far as I remember, and the robots are the default mannequins from Mixamo.

Dune

So cool and beautifully lit!

Kadri

Looks cool and not like a standard Terragen render (i mean in a good way) from a lighting aspect, Hannes.

masonspappy

Wow - that is sincerely awesome!

DocCharly65

Oh yes! I never saw a render before with such nice lighting through luminous objects. And AA20 !? Outch! What was the render time? :)

DannyG

Light and textures is impressive
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Agura Nata

That's very interesting and definitely time consuming, thanks for sharing
Hannes!

Cool stuff :)
"Live and Learn!"

Hannes

Thanks a lot, guys!

Quote from: DocCharly65 on March 21, 2019, 07:45:17 PM
... AA20 !? Outch! What was the render time? :)

It wasn't too bad: 9 hours for a 2.4k resolution. Maybe I'll try another one with an even higher AA...

bobbystahr

brilliant, and 9 hrs ain't bad...I recall a scene I did a couple of years back that took 42 hours on my Corsair workstation which is a fairly fast machine....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Agura Nata

Quote from: bobbystahr on March 22, 2019, 10:08:40 AM
brilliant, and 9 hrs ain't bad...I recall a scene I did a couple of years back that took 42 hours on my Corsair workstation which is a fairly fast machine....

That is really long!
I recently had a completely fractal impact on Dune's easy beach with an image like I do more often at 1k resolution, after 11 hours I did not like anymore, since then I take highfields and got 3 times better, god bless the queen;...
"Live and Learn!"

archonforest

Awesome scene and great render!!
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Ariel DK

Simply incredible Hannes...
I can't even imagine to myself in that hell of re-texturing everything inside TG in a so much complex scene like that....  ;D
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

René

That looks very good. Interior scenes are very well possible in Terragen, albeit with exceptional settings. Is there a bit of chromatic aberration? In post I assume.

Hannes

Yes, there is. It's postwork. I can't resist, I love chromatic aberration (...and I know, you don't, Kadri!!!  ;D ;) ;) ;))

Hannes

I did a small sampling test crop render with AA 20 and a resolution of 1.8k. Same settings, except the left image uses the robust adaptive sampler. There is less noise in the left image (and less contrast for some reason), but it took 23.37 minutes compared to 14.50 minutes using the regular sampler.