Alpha Transparency Missing

Started by Asterlil, April 01, 2019, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asterlil

I've attached an image showing two trees, both from XFrog, both added to the library before importing into the scene. The chestnut on the left is fine, but the weeping cherry on the left has somehow lost transparency on the blossom images and is exceedingly ugly. I have checked the TIFF images in Photoshop, and they do have transparent backgrounds.

Can anyone point me to a tutorial or explain how to fix this?

masonspappy

Since the image you're seeing on the trees appears to be a mask (Opacity)image instead of a diffuse(color)  image, first thing I'd do  is check the "Colour Image" slot, to ensure it really does have a color image there,  and that  the opacity (black&white image) actually is in the 'Opacity Image" slot.

Asterlil

The  mask image had not been picked up, but adding it didn't seem to make a difference until I also checked the box "Alpha from colour" under the Opacity tab. Problem solved. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

bobbystahr

the alpha channel sometimes needs checking on for sure.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

If there is an alpha channel in the main texture image you need to re-load it (i.e. specify the same image) for the *opacity* image and check Use Alpha Channel. If your alpha is in a separate image (some commercial tree models are like this), load that image into Opacity instead. You should not need to use Alpha From Color in either case, and it is a less accurate way to go unless there is no pre-existing alpha channel.

- Oshyan

Asterlil

I have removed the mask images, replacing them with the diffuse ones, and it works as you say it should. :-) This was not the tgo version of the xfrog tree, incidentally, which may be why I had to take these extra steps to make it render right.

Oshyan

Yes, the TGO versions should "just work" :)

- Oshyan