Fellow Paracosmologists, Unite!

Started by Asterlil, April 11, 2019, 02:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asterlil

I recently discovered the word "paracosm", which means "imaginary world realized in detail." A child's imaginary friend is one sort of paracosm; J.R.R. Tolkien's Middle Earth is another. And the landscapes we struggle to realize with the 3D tools to hand, those are paracosms too.

QuoteIn an article in the International Handbook on Giftedness, Michelle Root-Bernstein writes about paracosm play as an indicator of high levels of intelligence and creativity, which may "supplement objective measures of intellectual giftedness ... as well as subjective measures of superior technical talent."
(http://cyborganthropology.com/Paracosmic_Immersion)

I just thought y'all might like to know that.  8)

Oshyan

Great word! Very relevant to everything we do here. :)

- Oshyan

cyphyr

www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

bobbystahr

Finally something for my signature.....

Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

It's a great word indeed. I struggled to find a decent word for my website describing what I did, so earlier on I had used 'CGI', but most 'normal' people don't understand it, and it's not really 'only' generated by a computer, you need to do something before it does. 3D Art isn't that great a description either, as that makes one think of sculpture.
So now I use 3D renders. Though I like the word you found, I doubt if it rings a bell in potential clients. They probably think I'm some sort of hazy weirdo.

Asterlil

Dune: This is a paracosm.
Client: Should I call a doctor, or a psychic?

masonspappy

Quote from: Dune on May 03, 2019, 02:15:17 AM
...so earlier on I had used 'CGI', but most 'normal' people don't understand it...
Fortunately, most folks here don't suffer from that handicap...
;D

Dune

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Good find @Asterlil. And like Bobby said, a perfect word for a business card. :D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"