Quick Navigation Question

Started by Asterlil, April 14, 2019, 02:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asterlil

There are times, like when I'm adding a painted shader, that I want to look straight down at the terrain. For reasons of disability, I always use the large navigation tool at the upper right. Using the tilt button, how do I know when I am at an angle of 90°? There's no readout at the widget itself, nor at the bottom of the screen along with the xyzv info, at least that I can see.

bobbystahr

Does this help at all
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Asterlil

Yes, that. Working on the default terrain, a few hundred meters above ground, it flicked me up to 10,000 km, looking down. As soon as I applied tilt, I no longer knew at what angle I was viewing the world. I added a cube and made it purple, then selected to center my pov on it, or so I thought, because as soon as I applied a little drop and tilt, I lost it. If it's centered, shouldn't it remain in view? I'm not sure how to compensate, how to locate the cube, because I don't know my angle of view. Centering on the cube seems to force me into an arbitrary pov and height.

bobbystahr

Are you adjusting the speed things happen in the tilt/rotate/zoom, you should keep the selection on the first rectangle. Otherwise it jus zooms around
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

If you have a specific numeric value you want for a rotation (or any other setting) on a camera, just open the camera node's settings and set the value there to what you need it to be. In this case set the first value (pitch) to -90 and it should make the camera look straight down.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Also there's the very handy location finder under View>3D preview Location. I often have it open when designing a scene, can really make a difference knowing just how far from the camera that far mountain is and it's height....just as an example.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Asterlil

Sorry for not responding earlier to your good advice, BobbyStahr and Oshyan. I get lost in long experiment sessions! It's helping, what y'all have suggested.